velvia 100 asa

michel_vandeput

Dear Leica friends,

Do you have some experience with the new VELVIA 100 asa? Thanks for

your opinion about the definition, grain, contrast density in

compariison with the VELVIA 50 asa or KODAK ekta64. For information,

it's more and more difficult to find velvia50asa in our camera shops.

I think fuji will not produce that film any more in the future.

Thank you and best regards from Belgium

Michel

There was a fairly comprehensive test in the UK "Outdoor Photography" Magazine this month. In a nutshell, it's a good film but it doesn't look much like Velvia 50. The colours are cooler and not as saturated. Given that a lot of photogs use Velvia specifically for its OTT colour rendition, this may not be good news. Disclaimer: I haven't used slide film for years.

Yet another test of this film is in the new Shutterbug that just came this week. Looks like a pretty good emulsion somewhere between RVP and Provia, more saturated than Provia and less than V. 50. Probably a true 100 asa. Personally I'm using EBX and Sensia, more natural colors, better skin tones and cheaper. Good luck!

Provia still the king of best-all-around slide films?

Not with me it isn't. There is not really a best all round slide film because nothing does everything well. I like K64 and Velvia 50 when I want "snap" (which is most of the time) and Sensia 100 when I want to emphasize good skin tones. I am trying the new Astia 100F and will try Velvia 100 too. Provia is too blue and lacks acutance and contrast for my taste. Perhaps I should also try the new Kodaks, although I decided in favor of Sensia/Velvia compared to the old E100S and SW.

Robin Smith

There are two Provia 100 films for sale in Japan. The one that is sold internationally, and was tested by the British Magazine, sounds like Provia 100. That is not as saturated as the old 50. The other one, Provia 100F is similar to the good old Velvia 50 in colour saturation, but as far as I know, only available in Japan at least for now. I have a few rolls but have not really had a chance to compare them yet.