Used Leica M6 vs. New Contax G2

Contax at their website states this camera (G2) has "external enhanced baseline. active infrared and phase difference detection passive autofocusing and manual focusing system", while the M6 has "enternal coincident, optical image rangefinder, mechanically based." All cameras to sharp focus, slr or not, ultimately determine the proper "range" and therefore are rangefinders, but the I think only the coincident optical image rangefinder is a true rangefinder camera. Note while Contax calls this camera a rangefinder, they do not call their focusing system a "rangefinder."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of contributing to an already long thread...

I think one should just look at some of the greatest photographers in the

history of the medium. HCB, Robert Frank, Eddie Adams, Winogrand, Boubat

all were dedicated Leica users. After getting an M3 w/50mm f/2 Summicron I

realized *why* Leica is so loved by great photographers. The rangefinder,

ergonomics, optics, shutter, are all superb.

Babar

bkhan@interlog.com

my spontanous suggestion would be to get a Canon 10D and shoot lots of exposures...

Did have a G2, could never get used to the guesswork involved and the fact that the camera makes all/most decisions. add to that slow/er lenses, the fact that they park themselves at inifinty after each shoot, dim viewfinder, noise etc, I should the package. But I do have to confess that I really liked the high contrast output one gets from the Zeiss lenses, very nice indeed. If you do buy a G2, buy one used and enjoy the discount.

The M6/35mm is the classical street photog/safe choise, but that doesn't mean that you'll enjoy it. it is indeed very different to shoot a RF vs. a SLR.

regardless, have fun!

I've owned an M2 for 33 years, an M6 for 18 months, and an M7 for 24 hours. I've handled a friend's G2 on numerous occasions, but have never done any serious shooting with it.

The G2 lenses are excellent. The newer Leica lenses are simply the best.

The M series viewfinder is far superior (brighter and bigger) than the G2.

The M cameras make no noise when focusing and less noise than the G2 at exposure. The M7 is noticeably quieter than my M2 or M6.

The G2 is superior to the M6 with respect to autoexposure. Commpared to the M7, it's a tie.

For street photography the M cameras are far superior to the G2 when it comes to zone focusing. The scale focusing wheel on the G2 does not have detentes so it easily is nudged out of place. The M lenses stay put once you have scale focused them. In addition, the G lenses do not have DOF scales so you either have to estimate or remember DOF for each lens.