How to choose filter sizes??

terence_tong1

i am not even going to ask the filter differences in terms of quaility yet.. just what

size filter?

of course, some of your would have dedicated sets for each size (or not use any at all)

but since i haven't won the super lotto... let's say fund is always limited.

i used to only have 2 sizes, 52/58 and i tends to buy the largest one and use step

down ring. In my then simple life, things were peachy, of course i didn't have the

desire to venture into special filters (ND/Intensifier) like now.

So, now, to my collection, i need 82mm for my Sigma 24-70 Ex and am looking

into getting a wide zoom, EF20-35 (77mm) or say Sigma 17-35(82mm)

Future will be a prime ef 85(58mm) and ef 50(52mm), so those are not a problem.

The tricky part is: 82mm filters seems far more limiting then say 77 under. Just from

a conservative estimate (NDx2/x4/red-green-blue intesifier/cl-pol/skylight) is

running myself over $300+, meaning i could buy an extra lens mentioned above.

Again, me=ameature, landscape and peoples. don't need pro quaility, middle to

middle low end will do.

is Sunpak the way to go?? or anyway to stick with Hoya?

thanks

Easy way out seems to be using a filter holder and square/rectangular filters.... besides giving more freedom when using split/grad NDs, one size fits all... Cokin P system covers all your sizes up to 82mm(cheap filters though... some say they suck, some are quite happy... but there are other brands of filters for P system, like singh-ray....) And Lee probably also does the trick... (also, Cokin's new Z-pro system is Lee-compatible

With wide-angles theres always the risk of vignetting... not sure were the limit is for Cokin P... ask around... but with bigger filters like Lee or Cokin Z-Pro I think you should be fine....

Just a note that Cokin P filters do not go as high as they say they will depending on your lens.

If you have a wide lens (>72mm) then you will have to use a saw to take off the outermost slot on the holder.

This has worked with my 77mm wide. I wouldn't trust it with an 82mm though.

You've now discovered the fallacy of "saving money" by purchasing a zoom len over two or three single focal length prime lenses. You get less sharpness, more flare, always have that heavy over sized lens on the camera, and go broke buying filters. Pick up a quality 35 and maybe a 20 or 21. You'll be money ahead and you'll get better photos.

How to choose filter sizes? Consider the filter size of the lens before you buy it. If there is a lens you want, which has a different filter size from what you already have, are there alternatives which would fit your kit better? Perhaps consider a prime lens instead of a zoom, or a lens with a slightly different zoom range or speed?

I'm lucky, with my manual focus Nikon system, most lenses take 52mm filters so my choice is simple.

For my Pentax system, I had two lenses with 67mm filters and one with 58mm filter. I bought a 58-67mm step-up ring, so all can fit the same filters. When I wanted to get a 300mm lens, there was a choice of a 300/4 with 77mm filter, and 300/5.6 with 67mm filter. I don't need the speed (or bulk) of the larger lens so I chose the smaller which also has the same filter size. Nice and simple.

Most 'pro' zooms and a number of primes from Canon and Nikon have 77mm filters, which seems to be their large standard size. Some third party lenses like Sigma take larger 82mm filters. I'd avoid these large non-standard filter sizes.

Also, consider which filters you need, perhaps you don't need so many. For landscapes you can get away with just a polarizer for color and a warming/skylight filter. These will both work well for color and B&W. I also occasionally use a cooling filter if the light gets too yellow and I have a closeup filter as well. That's all I use.

Hope this helps.

so unless i go prime, i won't get good pictures? sell all of my zooms and get 8 primes?

and do you mean a prime would get better picture than zoom with filters?

btw, the filter listed are for creative purposes, Cokin-P seems like a good choice in terms of prices, since i'll be using tripod anyway.

thanks

If you want to use filters extensively, and don't want to shell out the big $$$, sell your 24-70mm, and makes sure all future lens purchases have a filter size of 77mm or under -- then standardize on the 77mm, using step up rings for smaller-dia. lenses.

Or I guess you can try the Cokin P on your 24-70 to see if it vignettes, tho on your planned 82mm dia. 17-35mm, I'm almost positive the Cokin P holder will vignette (if so, then try hacking off the front holders to see if that helps).

Good luck!!!

1st: a second body with slower film does usually a better job than ND-filters. Maybe you can get a cheap Russian 1000mm mirrorlens, which includes 3 115?mm filters. I don't know why you want to cover 24-35mm with 2 zooms. I'd buy a 20mm and Sigma 14mm again. From my experience cheap (=zoom) WA lenses need perfect lenshoods. So calculate some other at least 150$ on a bellowstype lenshood or a couple of weekends on jigsawing substitutes fitting with a cokin system...

this brought back to the funding problems...

14mm -$600

20mm-$300

can anyone advise how bad the cokin filter would block the view at 20mm?? Because i

am all about cropping, especially for landscape and tripod use pictures

thanks for the suggestion with of using slow film, at least it somewhat solved the ND

filter problems