My Second offering ~PLEASE Critique

abbie_benson

Not bad, but I'd have done a few things differently:

I'd have composed for a bit less sky, and a steeper diagonal angle of the train. And I'd probably have gone a bit further down the road if possible to get MORE of the road's curve into the shot.

I like the tonal range of the shot.

Abbie, I like the composition, and I sure do like the road--not so sure the train is exposed how I'd like it (but better than I could!). Would like to see more detail and contrast in the sky. The road gives the scene a sense of mystery.

PS: I'm viewing this on a laptop so exposure comments are suspect! Cheers.

This is a good start. From your vantage point, I would have walked down the road a bit until the curve was more evident in both the road and the train tracks. The other reason for moving is to prevent the electrical poles from sticking out of the first few cars in the train. Moving would have prevented the superimposition.<p>The railfan in me says that waiting a few more hours (assuming the railcars will still be there) past midday will give better illumination of the face of the cars, and cast less of a harsh shadow from the overhanging sills on the end of the cars. Then, the details on the car ends can be more clearly seen.<p>Finally, with a static subject such as this, why not consider using a tripod?

I like your first offering over your second because of the composition. I, too, think the light poles and wires are a distraction. Sometimes it is not possible to shoot around them, but the effort should be made, I think. I do like the thought of the two roads, though. Good luck. Joe

I liked your first one much more. Here, both the train and the road lead the eyes into a dark abyss. I'm sure that's not what you intended. Also, the camera looks like it's pointed up. I suspect that was accidental too. Did you want the clouds arranged so? I hope not. Also, notice how the road goes into the lower corner at a very random angle? Is there anything special about this train? Hope I'm not being too harsh :) Feel free to trash my pictures if you like ;0

A critique is a critique, there is no hard feelings, how else can we improve if we don't know what's wrong. As for the power lines, i don't th8ink i couls miss much more of them and still get the RR car with the best print in it. I was actually trying to show the converging and curved roads as shown by the RR cars and car road.

But, I'm confused about the statement about the position of the clouds. Norm, even thought I didn't position the shot for the clouds, what didn't you like about it?

Thanks

Abbie

Abbie,

It's not that I disliked the position of the clouds. Clouds are always beautiful, in my opinion. The problem--if you want to call it that--is that the sky takes up 2/3 of the picture, but it's taken at a completely random moment. Random isn't necessary bad, but random can only say one thing: "random".

Take a look at some of the famous photos by Ansel Adams. He photographed a lot of landscapes out west. In his best works, the position of the clouds contributes greatly to the picture. He did this by waiting for the right moment.

Here you have a train that's not moving (I think). You have plenty of time to take the picture and look in all four corners of the frame, and you should at least give some thought to the shapes created by the clouds, IMO. Remember, this is only if you want to create great pictures :) Take care.

If the goal is to emphasize the dynamics of the curved road and strong diagonal of the train (whether moving or not), a dramatic, panoramic crop will help. Sure, it means sacrificing the nicely shaped clouds. But if the subject is the lower section of the photo, make it about that and not about the sky.<div>005cJT-13803184.jpeg.4918ec104b5092013b07c4a91ddfcb29.jpeg</div>