I hope this isn't some repost. I did my first quart of PMK yesterday

and I'm sort of happy with the results, but:

- From all I read I thought PMK would be close to the rated speed of

the films used (FP4, Delta 100, 11 min), but I was about two stops

below that.

- I mixed everything according to the recipe in destilled water, but

solution B won't dissolve...

suggestions?

How are you determining film speed? If you are using a densitometer, you need to read on the blue channel with a color densitometer. If you are doing it visually, be sure to base your results on prints rather than negatives at first, since pyro negs look a bit different from regular negs.

I rate Tri-X 400 at 250 in PMK, and Tri-X 320 at 200, so I wouldn't expect to get full speed

I have yet to see a pyro developer reach a film manufacturer's rated speed. With Efke 25 I'm at asa 12, FP4+ at asa 64, J&C 200 at 100. I don't know of anyone who is regularly getting more with Pyrogallic acid based developers, be it PMK, ABC or another formula.

Anyone else running at the film's rated speed, and if so, which formula are you using?

I get close to rated speed with W2D2+. I suspect it's the added conventional developer. I rate PanF @50, APX100 @ 80 to 100, Classic 200 @160 to 200, Tri-x @320 to 400, all with good shadow detail.

Remember though, all equipment is different and my metering techniques may differ from yours. I usually use incident (LunaPro) and check my highs and lows for any extrodinary spans.

tim in san jose

• 2 weeks later...