Can you use night vision in darkroom work?

I cannot speak for yours, but I use it for certain work. However,I don't use the built-in IR light because I don't trust it. I can see a pinpoint of light beaming through the filter. So, I made my own IR light source that hangs from the ceiling.

(Before someone calls it unnecessary to use such an assist, I worked total darkness with no problems with anything until had a work injury with hand damage that makes it impossible now.)

Most labs use the old kodak circular lights with the infrared filter in place and video tape the

goings on to be sure if there is a problem, they can see if something physically went wrong.

A true infrared light is invisible, no red glow like so many of the night vision scopes--that

will fog your film, it must be true invisible to your eye light and you will be fine.

There were notable times when I would have liked night vision (a pacakged roll of bulk film falling off the shelf flipping an open box of sheet film that had been cut to several special sizes and sending them all over the floor. ) However, I usually work in the dark even with B&W prints (that I don't do very often.)

I would watch out not only for the light source that is not completely filtered, but also leaks from the view side. The green screen emits visible light that can leak past your face and fog high speed film. I would recomment a test where half a piece of film is exposed to your dark room for 10 times your working time and develop: if you can see any kind of fog on the film as compared to the half that was covered then you have a problem. Wear the IR viewer for the entire exposure time.

Hey, I saw a LF photographer the other day: he had a tent like changing bag into which he installed a IR video camera connected to his laptop. This was in a public park. I could see very clearly what he was doing in the bag (kind of looking over his shoulder.) Experienced and fast at loading his sheet film holders, he probably didn't need it, but he quipped, "just another toy".

Interesting answers. Thank you. By the way Scott Kinkade, I will take your advice, I can see where the barrel might get in my way. Hehe ;-)

If I had a real darkroom I probably would not try the NV monocular I have but I live in an apartment and don't have room until I can seal my small bathroom up really well and outfit it with some shelving. Until then I have to improvise and this scope will help because I'm a newbie to developing. Also this is Minox format, very small films and equipment so it's not as easy as say a 35mm situation for spooling and slitting film. I thought nite vis would help until I get used to handling this tiny microfilm.