Lithium AA's in Nikon F5/F100

todd_phillips1

This question is sort of linked to Ellis Verners post of ten days ago.

In his responses, lithium batteries were mentioned as an alternative

power source (instead of consumer alkalines). I understand that

lithium AA's come in different voltage measurments and that the 1.5

volt batteries are the ones to use (correct?).

So how many manufacturers make them and is there a good source for

their availability? My Office Depot has Energizer E2 for $2.25 each

when purchased in an "8" pack. Is B&H cheaper?

Any lithium user comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have always used Energizer L91 Photo Lithiums. These are 1.5v and I am not familiar lithiums of any other voltage in the AA size. They seem to last forever especially since I change them before anything important and use the old ones for other non critical uses such as in a flash. <p>

Energizer L91's are available from Batteries.com and Home Despot at reasonable cost.

I know of no other lithium AAs other than the Energizers. Their open circuit voltage is 1.7v (other chemistry types also have open circuit, no load voltages above 1.5v), but is nominally 1.5v. Unless you shoot so much that rechargeable batteries make economic sense, use the lithiums. In addition to what has been mentioned here already, the AF and film advance work a little quicker because the voltage doesn't drop as much under load.

Lithiums are great! I use them when i shoot the stars at night - when normal bateries die from the cold,lithiums just keep on going. They also have a much extended shelf life compared to other bateries,so if you find them at a bargain price,you can stock up on them without having to worry that they will be flat by the time you get round to using them.

The flat discharge curve with fast drop off at the end found in NiMH and Lithium batteries ashures high performance till nearly the end. In this respect it is a major advantage. I feel the best way to deal with the empty clip feeling is have another loaded and ready. The price for a spare battery holder for the F5 and F100 is about $34.00 and $17.00 respectively at B&H.

I shouldn't worry too much about battery voltage. The F5 (as well as most other cameras) contains a DC/DC-converter that takes what it gets and puts out what the camera needs (as long as the former is higher than the latter). The camera uses different voltages for different circuits, so much of the camera actually only uses 3 and 5.5 volts respectively. However, I suspect that e.g. the motors for film transport and such needs something like 9 volts. Consequently, even 1.2V NiMH rechargeable batteries work just fine.

<em>"However, I suspect that e.g. the motors for film transport and such needs something like 9 volts." --Mats Nilson<br>

</em><br>

A friend who repairs cameras told me this was the case. As I recall the voltage he mentioned was higher than 9v and the voltage can be stepped up from the voltage of the battery pack. The concern is not voltage but voltage and amperage. NiMH and lithium batteries perform well till very near the end and then die suddenly.<br>

<br>

To save money one might start with NiMH and back them up with pre-loaded lithiums. To save weight use lithiums as they weigh one half what alkaline and NiMH batteries weigh. Thats a savings of about

103~105g in an F5.<br>

<br>

NiMH and lithium batteries both have a resealable vent system which I believe reduces leaking. I havent used either long enough to say. NiCd(s) in my experience seldom leak and they also have a resealable vent system. When they do leak my experience is there isnt as much of a mess. Ive never seen a NiMH or lithium battery leak though I imagine it can happen. I believe alkaline batteries have a one shot vent meaning once they vent they are shot and will leak. Any reverse charged battery is very likely to leak as heat and pressure will build quickly.<br>

<br>

Ive come to the point that I just dont put alkaline batteries in a camera or motor drive anymore. Ellis Vener�s experience reinforces my decision. As always YMMV.