Nocti-Monkey

paul hart

Well I support Paul in his intro to the Noctilux and there is NOTHING wrong with practice in the backyard. Many protagonists seem to feel that unless they are on an "exotic" trip somewhere, photography is not worthwhile. I see that as the limit of their imagination. As an aside, the top image for FOM2 in 2000 was shot in a backyard, as were quite a few other successful images.

Regarding some comments above (I have not read them all)the bokeh, OOF, or whatever, criticized by some is not just dependant on the lens and aperture. The nature of the background, the quality of the light on the background, the distance of the background, all have an influence. So why do the critics always blame the Noctilux without considering the other factors and there contribution? I could speculate, but will resist. I will suggest that an annoying OOF background shot on a Noctilux @ f1.0 or f1.4 would be little different from the same background shot on a Summilux @ f1.4.

The real fact is, nothing is right or wrong. We all just have different preferences. So Paul, I'm with you, go shoot and enjoy and may the rest of you be Grant(ed) peace in the next life, if you ever get one!

Cheers

This is precisely why I sold my 75 lux. Why park money in a lens if you'll never become proficient at using it (in terms of its strengths). Paul, if you evolve from this initial shot then kudos to you... you're a much more gifted photographer than I'll ever be. It took me 2 years to find out that the 75 lux was beyond my abilities. I'm much better served with my current set-up which is low-speed by comparison (21 SA, 50 cron, 90 tele-elm/thin).

Good luck to you sir,

<I> I gave Paul praise and encouragement</I><P>

Yeah, praise and encouragement, that's what you offered... <P>

<I>Brad Evans would post his latest zoo photo of the red-hatted

monkey companion of the organ-grinder, Marc Williams would

post a wedding photo of some groom monkeying around, and

another eight-dozen out-of-focus photos that weren't related in

any way to your title and support Douglas Kinnear's

comments.</I> <P>

And you still would have nothing to contribute... I guess we're all

pretty dumb.<P>

Try and lose the bitterness.