Vericolor Slide Film Dead

Kodak announced this film is no longer being made.As the pro

shooters here know,this emulsion was used to produce "slide proofs"

from color negs.It will be sadly missed.Also,in todays Wall Street

Journal,Kodal anounced 6,000 more layoffs.As they "evolve from a

historical film producing company,to serving the digital imaging

market".

One has to wonder how Kodak will serve any market with no employees.

I suspect asset plundering by corporate thieves who will leave the venerable company a hollow yellow shell with nothing of value other than its name.

Maybe Cosina will buy 'em out and add the quaint film manufacturing industry to its retro camera lineup.

They discontinued one of their Vericolor slide films, the Kodak Vericolor Slide Film SO-279, but they still have Kodak Vericolor Slide Film /VS available, which is basically the same film but it comes in 100-foot bulk rolls only.

Now, in this case they might be right, I don't know many people that would buy Vericolor slide film in 135 36 exposure cartdriges just to make some slides from negatives at home, and pro labs that are the main buyers for this type of film I'm sure buy it by the bulk in 100-foot rolls, so it didn't probably make a lot of sense to produce it in 135 36 exposure cartdriges and not sell enough of it.

<i>Does this mean Dale Labs will no longer be able to offer their attractively priced slides-from-negs service?</i>

<p>Dale uses "Vision" print film, which Kodak sells for producing the prints of motion pictures you see at your local multiplex cinema. While it's designed to complement the "Vision" line of motion picture negative films, it makes very nice slides from regular C-41 negatives. Dale Labs has always used motion picture print film rather than Vericolor because (they claim) the image quality is better (and it probably costs less in bulk). From what I've seen of slides printed on Vericolor, I'd have to agree with Dale.