Connecting a Nikon LS-4000 Scanner to an eMachine PC

I just purchased a Nikon 4000 Scanner. The specs state that it will

connect to my PC with a "6-pin to 6-pin" cable, however, I do not

have a port on the back of my PC to accomodate such a connection. My

PC is a new eMachine. There is a 9-pin serial port available. Is

there an adapter that will work? Will I need to insert a new

port/card in a slot on the back of the PC to accomodate the scanner's

cable (I know there's one that comes with the scanner) and if so, how

difficult a procedure is this? Thank you.

If your computer doesn't have a firewire port available then you will need to get a PCI card to allow you the capability. You can get a firewire and USB 2.0 card for less than $50 (less than $60 last i checked but that was a while ago) at most computer stores (CompUSA, Circuit City etc) or you can order one online.

Installing it shouldn't be terribly difficult. Turn your computer off, set it in, put in the holding screws and follow the installation instructions in the manual. In fact the manual might offer basic instructions on what it looks like to install a PCI board.

Or you might have a friend that can help you.

What model eMachine do you have? You can do a search online to see it comes with a firewire port already installed. The 6 pin firewire port looks like a USB port but one end is pointed slightly.

My 4000 came with a firewire card and wire...if you bought yours new I think it should be in there. You just need to install the card in the computer and plug it in.

If you bought your scanner used and it didn't come with the card then you'll need to follow the advice above and buy a firewire card and cable.

Just check if your eMachine came with PCI slots (perhaps 3, of which 2 are available?) - and in that case, install the included FireWire card supplied by Nikon. However, beware that you may have to break a seal which may void your warranty if doing so. In that case, you may want to contact your service station and have them install it, especially if you do not intend to learn how to build and maintain your own PC.

Though, technically speaking, you should only need to unscrew/open the case, and smack the card into a free PCI slot (typically white). Your MS OS will identify the card and install the necessary drivers.

Hope this was helpful, and congratulations with your new scanner. If the Nikons were as affordable in Europe as in the US, I'd get one too!

• 4 years later...