decide on a film for my wife to use when we travel. She likes to

shoot landscapes & buildings & floweres etc. She uses a 35mm SLR so

film size is 35mm.

For each trip she wants to produce an album of about 50 8x10's and

then some 11x14's to mount and hang on the wall. Maybe a 16x20 for

an exceptional shot.

Last year she took a lot of Provira slide fim and likes the way it

looks. But printing in the darkroom is a pain now that R3 materials

are gone. I have a color enlarger and would make the prints myself.

So, what color negative film would serve her best?

Thanks!

If you want to enlarge to 16x20, get something slow. ISO 100 or slower. I like The Fuji Superia range (easy to work on a scanner), I've used them in 200-400-800 speeds. Maybe you want to experiment with a bit for Konica Impresa first to see if that would be acceptable.

I would definitely try Konika Impressa 50. Reviews I read indicated that it was the print analogue of Velvia, though in my experience it is too blue when shooting in very cool light (though a polarizer would take care of that, I didn't have one with me when I used this.)

On the few occasions where I have used print film while travelling I have had great success with Kodak's Portra 160VC: great grain, great color, and nicely warm.

My everyday film is Fuji Superia-Reala 100 (CS100). It is fairly nuetral but has very strong colors, fine grained, and is great in harsh light or overcast light with some fill flash.

I've only gone as high as 11x14. I'm not sure if you can get really nice 16x20 shots without first scanning. It seems to be a subject of great debate as to how large you print 35mm.

If you are printing yourself in a color darkroom, for this sort of thing it is near impossible to beat konica impresa. At least that is my opinion; I shoot and print color negatives and have tried everything fuji has to offer but konica beats them all for fine grain and saturation. This film gets mangled by 1 hour labs but is capable of amazing results when printed by hand by a knowledgeable printer. It is capable from 35mm of producing remarkably good 16x20s, although a very good negative is needed. I shoot it mainly in 6x7 and it can be stunning for landscapes. It does well in both soft and hard light.

I would not recommend it for portraits. If you anticipate including people in your shots, carry another film as well.

oh yeah - I print it on Crystal Archive type CDII, although it's also nice on type P for higher contrast images.

Tom Emerson, do you have any sample scans showing off Portra 160VC?

I didn't see any in your portfolios, and I'm still trying to understand why photographers like this film. I'd call it

muddy (especially under overcast skies) rather than warm. Vuk uses it

in fashion photography to enhance colors of clothing while keeping skin-tones unobtrusive.

Just a note on Portra 400UC for landscapes: I have never seen a film

retain blue in overexposed clear skies so well. It looks fine in

overcast weather although perhaps there's too much contrast for midday sun.