*ist film camera OR Nikon N80

dave_w4

Hi Everyone.

My girlfriend and I have been looking into buying an entry level slr

and so far we like the Nikon N80 and the Pentax *ist (film

version). We saw that the Pentax *ist was awarded the best 35mm slr

camera by TIPA, so we were thinking that the Pentax might be the

better camera, but we thought we should ask here before we buy.

We were planning on using the camera mainly for portraits and

landscape pictures, and maybe in the future upgrading from the N80

or *ist to a pro level camera.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Dave,

The *ist is a very interesting camera and offers more than the N80. However in an entry level camera there isn't a whole lot to complain about the N80. The *ist is tiny so that might be important when making your choice. Personally I'd try both cameras out and see which is more comfortable. there aren't a whole lot of people who own the new *ist to give you a lot of feedback; I'm sure there are plenty of people who can comment on the N80.

Since you are buying into a system, you need to see if each one has the lenses you want. Also, consider other things like the flash system.

In the end, the body is rarely the limiting factor, so don't worry too much about which body is "best". For basic landscapes and portraits, any decent SLR is fine. At the pro level you will need a good flash system for portraits, so I'd lean towards Nikon for their mature TTL flash system.

Actually, the Pentax pro level camera is the PZ-1P. So yes, there is the 'upgrade to pro' option with Pentax too. I enjoy Pentax, starting off with an MX years back and now also with the MZ-5. Also have non-Pentax kit but that's besides the point. Pentax lenses are very nice but tend to be more expensive due presumably to lower production.

The bottom line is find a body (camera) that you feel comfortable handling and where the control layout fits your style - preferably on the simple, traditional side. The body, however, as said above, isn't the critical element in your photos. The lenses (and your vision) are more important. The importance in the body is whether you feel comfortable with it.

But the 'better' or 'worse' debate is generally a false one.

I've got a *ist :-)

The only consideration I can think of, apart maybe from size, is backward compatability. The camera will mount any "K" mount lens, but it won't meter unless it's a "KA" lens, with the electronic contacts ... manual focus is fine. If the Nikon has total backward compatability you may have better access to cheaper old (manual focus) esoteric lenses than with the Pentax.

The camera is small, my hands aren't, but it "fits" beautifully, so I don't think size is a problem, it's ergonomically very well designed (unlike me ;-)

"The PZ-1P isn't an F100 or an F5"

That certainly is true. The PZ-1p is somewhat dated technology, at least in the autofocus speed rhelm. However, I do know of pros who use the PZ-1p (and the MZ-S). Not many mind you, but they have good reasons for their choice. Ask them and most like the camera because of the hypershift function unlike anything on any Canon or Nikon. Personally I don't like the PZ-1p, but not to call it a pro camera because it isn't a "F100 or an F5" is just silly. I generally think the number one reason that a pro should be looking mostly at Canon and Nikon lines is that it is almost impossible to rent non Canon and Nikon equipment. Even if Pentax developes a camera that can be dropped out of an airplane (Ooops, that's a 6x7!) and can burn through 36 frames in a blink of an eye it will unlikely be a good option for MOST pros simply because of the rental situation. However, if you personally own all the equipment you need, and your business is driven by the quality of your images and not the name on your camera then Pentax is not only a reasonable choice it makes good economic sense.

Finally advising people that you should only choose X or Y cameras because you can't upgrade to a 'pro' camera with Z brand is also foolish, especially when the Z lower priced cameras are a better made, better valued cameras than what X and Y have as starter cameras.

Ask yourself, what features does a pro camera offer that you can't find in a consumer camera that a non-pro REALLY needs? How many non-professionals really need to to blow through 36 frames in a couple of seconds? The F5 and EOS1 each weight a ton, is that what one should recommend for most users? They will just leave the SLR at home. Most pro cameras do not have popup fillin- flash (save the PZ-1p) a VERY useful feature for most users. What about a remote IR shutter release? Nope, only in entry level cameras. Pro cameras are well built and they do stand up to a lot of heavy use, but after years of using 'advanced amature' cameras I can really only claim one really busted camera from a fall and I doubt a F5 would have made it either. Even after years of heavy use I've never worn out a Pentax camera (or Nikon camera for that matter) I've owned a lot of cameras over the years (both professionally and as a hobbiest), and taught a lot of students with a variety of equipment. The most important thing is that they use their equipment a lot, learn and use good technique, and buy the best OPTICS (not camera bodies) they can afford. The rest is just market scare.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of interesting answers here and some good advice.

Dave, I have been using Pentax for the last three years and am quite happy with the system.

Recently, I picked up the Pentax *ist...I had been using the Mz5n. You mention that you would possibly want to upgrade to a pro level camera. At the risk of catching some flack here, I believe that the *ist would serve you well in the "pro level" department. I am just so darn happy with this camera. It is very well laid out, it has good build quality, the viewfinder is quite bright, exposure methodology is very extensive, exposure metering is some of the best that is available. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need to go Canon or Nikon in order to have some good glass on your camera.....Pentax has some very high quality lenses available....the 24 - 90 mm is very sharp (I'm taking donations for one now...hint hint!!).

To top it all off, the *ist is selling at quite a good price for a whole lot of camera.

Years ago, I had a Nikon Fe with a few good lenses. I really loved this system and had been bemoaning the fact that it was hard to find a modern camera at a reasonable price with the same kind of functionality.

I'm not looking any more, because the *ist fulfills all my needs in a camera. If your subjects are to be portraits and landscapes, I believe the *ist will do you quite well....now and in the future.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Robert