Leica at Waist Level

I do possibly half to three quarters of my shooting on the street at waist level--or actually at chest level.

My favorite candid lenses are 35, 28, 25, 21, 15. As the light gets dimmer I tend to go down the line for the sake of maximizing depth of view. My standard film is 800 color negative.

I like to shoot my 35/2 at f16 when possible. The 25/4 is great at f11. I can get a good in-focus range at f 5.6 with the 21/4. The 15/4.5 is splendid wide open.

There is a trick to visualizing the image when you're shooting a chest-level. I try not to look at the subject directly when I am shooting.

Expect a lot of failures.

I once did a lot of subway train shots. They were easy because distances between seats and the lighting does not change.

BTW, for those who are incredulous about the spirit level I sometimes use, heres a

link to the "double bubble" Hama level:<P>

<A HREF="http://www.hama.co.uk/product.asp?productid=100&sectionid=211">

Hama Spirit Level </A><P>

Secondly, there's a theme in this thread that "hip shooting" only really works with

wide angle lenses. Not so. FWIW 80% of my shots are taken with a 50mm Summilux,

at less than 3m, at f2.8 - f5.6.

I would never have guessed it could be this difficult ;)

I learned photography with a folding camera. No rangefinder, no light meter, fixed lens, and a viewfinder that's mostly for decoration. So I learned to guess at distances, field of view, and lighting conditions. And every once in a while I get a good picture, too.

I have shot every film sice up to 9x12cm from the hip - focus, exposure and framing with a "normal" lens is not a problem before I go above 6x4.5.

Nearly half of the photos that I have in my folder here were taken at waist level using f11 zone focused 35mm lens.

Whethere or not this is a glowing endorsement or not, I can say that the thing that I worried about most (out of focus shots) was not an issue at this aperture.