Speculation on the future of the PN user base

<i>Some of the answers that are being posted are slightly or completely wrong (somebody mentioned that). Usually because of very little experience to back up the assertions.</i>

<br><br>

This is where I think the little Atlas icon (Photo.net Hero) next to respondent's names is great. Perhaps there should be a little more of an obvious message at the top of search results indicating that responses from such users are likely to be correct.

<br><br>I've been a member of another internet special interest email group since 1992, I would really hate to see Photo.net degrade in the same way it has - from the very problem we are discussing here.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The repetitive forum questions/rantings about the ratings system are the ones that annoy me more than anything else.<br>Also, I think that Heather highlighted an interesting point above. <b>However</b> anyone here ever installed any software on their computer (of course you have!). Does <b>anyone</b> ever take any notice of (read) all the copyright/registration/disclaimer screens that you often have to "agree" to first, before you can proceed with installation?<br>I would hazard a guess that many photonet newbies don't take much notice of the forum question submission page.

<i>I would hazard a guess that many photonet newbies don't take much notice of the forum question submission page.</i>

<br><br>

As a longtime GUI developer I've found the best way to combat user laziness is to make such behavior less efficent in the interaction schema. How this is done without making the user upset is always a challenge. Plain and simple behavior modification. This is the exact same problem I am battling at work today. In this case the lazy users get email from the app server when they are ignoring an assignment. If they ignore for another five days their manager gets cc'd on the next reminder. :-)

as a person who regularly posts annoying questions about 10Ds, this is an amateur site. Pros won't spend time on photo.net because they take photos all day and don't want to talk about it when they get home. Seeing as this is a free site there are many amateurs like me who are just learning and are only on their second cameras. Sharing knowledge is what this site is about.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree that the quality of questions etc has gone down and is it just me or far far more photos being posted for critique every day? I've bene here a year and seen a significant transition, but as long as those who are the most experienced don't drift away, it'll be fine. Personally I've learnt a great deal here, and probably asked te odd question that I ought to have researched the answer for first, but photo.net is so successful because 9/10 people imparting knowledge are extremely experienced and helpful. Long may it continue...