Velvia 100 availability

Hi,

I just received a reply from Fuji wrt Velvia100 availability in

the USA. They stated that they have no plans to manufacture Velvia100

in the USA at this time.They mentioned nothing about importing

Japanese manufactured Velvia100. They gave me a telephone # (1-800-

800-3854 option#2)to speak to a rep. if I had further questions.If

enough photographers call maybe we can change their mind.

To the best of my knowledge, Fuji has never manufactured film in the US.

All Fuji slides/film are imported from Japan. Besides, I was able to pickup Velvia 100 locally (Not for myself ... I am no longer shooting film/slides).

B&H (bhphoto.com) has Velvia 100 in stock in 135 and medium format.

Velvia 100 (NOT 100f) is a new film designed to produce totally over-the-top, ultra

saturated colors, even beyond that which Velvia 50 produced. Although I've never

used it, it is supposedly similar to some of the older, high silver versions of

Kodachrome from the 1960's (ie ISO 12 Kodachrome). Regardless, it is my

understanding that it has been released in limited quanities in Japan only. As such, it

may be very difficult to obtain, unless, by chance, you live in Japan...

I am sure that the response you've received came from Fujifilm USA Customer Service Dept.

Well, all I can say is that in my opinion the guys that work there at their customer service dept., specially the ones answering emails are a bunch of ignorants that know nothing about the products they represent. I know this is hard to believe, but that's the way it is.

Few days ago I emailed them to ask about the Velvia 100 (non-F) and also a chromagenic (C-41 process) black and white Fujifilm Neopan 400CN that's been announced on Fujifilm's british website, I just wanted to know if they were bringing these films to the US market and when.

Here is a copy of their response:

"Please be advised, Mr. Plaza that the Velvia 100 film which is listed on the Fujifilm Japanese Website is equivalent to the Velvia 100F film that Fujifilm USA is manufacturing. Also, the Neopan 400CN that you saw located on the British website is equivalent to the Neopan 400 that is currently being manufactured in the United States."

First, NONE OF THESE FILMS HAVE EVER BEEN MADE IN THE USA, second, Fujichrome Velvia 100 and Velvia 100F are two TOTALLY different films, according to the japanese website, and third, how could a regular panchromatic black and white film be the equivalent to a chromagenic black and white film designed to be processed in color chemistry?.

Well, this is the kind of idiotic responses that one gets from the people at Fuji Photo Film USA...!.

Antonio: It would be interesting to see if the Velvia 100F sold in the USA states 'Made in the USA' or 'Packed in the USA'. If it states 'Packed in the USA' the customer service people at Fuji 'Sexed-up' the facts. To many workers the products their company sells are merely stock-keeping-items (SKUs), not the items of devotion and obsession that they may be to the photo community.

Julio, I have few rolls of Fujichrome Velvia 100F I bought in NYC, and the boxes clearly read "Made in Japan by Fuji Photo Film Co., LTD, Tokyo, Japan". Then, on the back of the package, it reads "Made in Japan, Packaged for the USA and Canada". They DO NOT make any of their professional films in any other place than Japan, and the people that works at Fuji Photo Film USA should know this better that anybody else.

"Just bought 2 rolls today in B&H. $5.86 each. There's no box, but a lab say Velvia 100F USA."

Should have called Pictureline in Salt Lake City, Utah.(1-800-748-8200) Fuji film there is a bit less than in NewYorkCity. Currentyl $5.53 a roll... and no NewYawk attitude either.