• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing the blues on piano and harp.

Alternative processes.

Camera collecting and repair.

Building clock cases.

Gardening (chile peppers, iris, and scented geraniums my specialty).

Telescope building.

Reading (non-fiction mostly).

Being a dad.

tim in san jose

Greetings,

<p>

Other than photography.... like Ole, I'm big into wines (especially collectible reds from

Bordeaux, Burgundy, Napa, and Australian). Life is too short to drink bad wines!

<p>

Also collect fountainpens... Montblanc, Pelikan, Perchins, etc

<p>

Along with good wines...I also LOVE great food! NOTHING like great food, great

wines, and, of course, great friends!

<p>

Great topic Kevin - Thanks

<p>

Cheers

<p>

Henry

More or less in order: wife and daughter, powder skiing, kayaking, hikeing (with and without view camera), windsurfing, astronomy, bicycling, skate skiing, telemark skiing, non-powder downhill skiing, metal sculpture, listening to classical music and jazz (I can't play a note), reading (especially books on modern physics), finding time to do all this in a contemplative manner which is basically impossible so I must cut back my activities any day now but what could I possibly give up without an extreme sense of loss?

I also play the guitar--mostly classical, but my main instrument is the trombone--mostly classical and jazz, but increasingly more eclectic world-music kinds of things, like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000508LJ/ref%3Drm%5Fitem/102-3242969-9256967">this band</a>, which defined the genre of "dub-country" (I'm on tracks 1, 6, and 9).

Movies-Kieslowski, Almodovar, the Andersons, Wes and P.T., Cohen brothers, David Lynch, Altman, etc.; music-play at guitar, folk, jazz, classical ;books- currently Haissen, and Hillary Clinton.

However, almost all free time, of which there is too little, goes to photography.

Wow - lots of musicians here. I play the saxophone (mainly jazz). Photography is really my other obsession to my music (although I guess they're both "hobbies" since I have a "real" job), but lately it's been getting more time (just built a Bender 8x10).

I also enjoy making pizza dough/bread. I like to grind the wheatberries into flour right when I want to bake. (I started doing this shortly after I started developing B&W - I guess it kicked off a sort of "I want to do that myself" thing...)

Cool, lots of musicians! I forgot to mention earlier, electric bass is my main instrument (Yamaha 5 string, Danelectro longhorn re-issue and Fernandez 8 string). I have a heavily modified Telecaster that I wish I knew how to play better. I�ll sit behind the drums when the drummer is out for a smoke break (one TWO three FOUR).

The band I play with is, um, eclectic. I call it �punk Calypso� if some asks me to put it in a category.

Lots of astronomers, too. We�re lens junkies, no doubt about it.

Collecting windshield wiper motors from 1956 Renaults; playing the dulcimer; reading old Sears Roebuck catalogs; riding my Cushman motor scooter in downtown Miami during rush hour with my ex-wife on the handlebars.

P.S. to those who find this thread more interesting than how to meter a spot tailed deer. You're in the wrong group.