NPZ on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper Type One?

From my last post (thanks Eric for your help), from reading, and

from testst I've done, I've decided to switch to Fuji NPZ from Kodak

400UC since I use a Frontier lab. I've rated NPZ at 640/500/400 and

it looks better printed and scanned than 400UC, especially with

strong colors - as Scott mentioned before.

Since I don't know much about papers, I asked my lab what they use

and what they can use. All the use is Fuji Crystal Archive Paper

Type One. This I assume is the amateur paper?

Now I looked on Fuji's site and here and see that the "better" paper

is Type C, but I don't have that option.

So seeing that I'll be printing NPZ on Fuji Crystal Archive Paper

Type One, what rating is best now? I don't know how contrasty this

paper is and if I rate NPZ at 400 for a nice dense negative, will

the paper make it too contrasty? Would it then be better to rate it

at 500 or 640?

What is your opinion? I want to settle down on one rating and move

on :) I have found the film I like and I know the paper my lab uses.

Now I just need to match the rating with the paper. And I don't know

how contrasty or not Type One is.

Much thanks,

Alex

I should add that I can look at my 4x6 proofs, but with all sorts of corrections going on I can't determine what is what. How WOULD I in the most scientific manner go about finding out? Contact sheets? Too small to judge no?

Each day I learn so much reading and then realize I know so little on the developing/printing side of photography. And this is just as important, as photography itself.

Alex

Use the combination that works the best, and use a lab that does the best job. It won't do you any good to obsess over paper type with a Frontier because it' doesn't matter much. As long as it's Crystal Archive you should have no problems.

Shooting NPZ at 400 will only cause a problem if the scene has a lot of contrast.

Scott,

For a wedding with flash or without you think 400 would be too much? Even 500? I'm going to be shooting one soon, but can't "practice" a wedding. So far everyone seems to rate it at 640 for weddings, but that may be too flat and grainy. Knowing my above situation, would it be best rated higher than 400? The lighting will be flat mostly - the contrast being the white dress and the black tux. But I was thinking that contrast was more to do with contrasty LIGHTING situations.

Thanks,

Alex

Alex, I've had a similar combination from my lab here, and the Crystal Archive Paper Type One will get very good results, IF your lab uses it according to Fuji's guidelines. Try it out and see if you like it.

For NPZ, I would suggest shooting a roll rated at 320 to see what you think. I found that at 400 it lacked saturation, and if it was underexposed I got too much grain. That may be the way my lab's printer interprets the negative, but at 320 my results were consistently better for my tastes.

Best of luck,

I don't why you aren't using NPH at EI 320 either. NPZ on a Frontier is good, but NPH is usually breath taking.

NPZ has more snap though. As long as you aren't prone to over-exposing 400 should work fine. Like everybody else I shoot it at EI 640, but your camera meter might be a bit lean.

Scott,

My camera's meter underexposes but what it looks like 1/3. So I always rate my film lower to compensate. NPH@320 for me would really mean 250 then. I haven't gone that low since I need the speed, but I'll give it a "shot". I just shot some NPZ@400 and will see the results this week. I'll try NPH@250 to see if I really like it. I would have to LOVE it, to accept the 250 speed.

Otherwise I just use REALA@80.

Alex