Film/Slide Scanner - which model?

I am planning to purchase a scanner to scan slide, film and 120

film. After scanning the slide/120, the quality should be good if I

print 4R photo using the scanned digital files. What brand and

models are suggested? I have limited budget only.

Thanks for your advice.

4R doesn't require much, I would generally consider that a fairly small print and most any scanner can achieve that from 35mm or medium format.

I don't know what your limited budget is, thats not too helpful unfortunately, it could mean you have a few hundred and can't afford a dedicated film scanner or that you have a few thousand and can't afford a flextight or better.

I'll just make the obvious assumption that you can't afford a film scanner, and for a 4R print thats not too big a problem. You've got some good options including the Epson 2450 or 3200 flatbed scanners with have the ability to scan film and do a fairly good job with it. At 4x6 the biggest issue you may run in to is lack of shadow detail on dense slides for example. The price for a used 2450 is probably in the $200 to $250 range now, and a new 3200 starts a little under $400 and goes up. There's a "pro version" with calibration standards thats almost $600.

The 2450 would be enough for your needs but if you want to buy new, or have slightly better detail the 3200 is available. The resolution increase isn't as great as it sounds, the 3200 is only modestly better than the 2450 but some say it seems to pull out more detail from the densest parts of slides.

Thanks. My budget is around $1000-1200. Can this budget enough for dedicated film scanner? What are the qualities of those film scanner (~$1000)? Can it print 8R? What are the speeds of scanning slide/35mm film/120 film. Do those film scanner have color calibration, any standard mode for scanning Kodak, Fuji, Konica films?

$1k is plenty for a dedicated film scanner, and probably a pretty good one. Unfortunately, it's not enough for a dedicated film scanner that will do 120, I think. Nikon, Minolta and Canon all have well-regarded models around that price point that do 35mm competently and are capable of significant enlargements. If you need to do 120, you may need to look at either a separate unit, or some kind of compromise to your ability to enlarge 35mm significantly. Good luck.

The Minolta Dimage Scan Multi will allow you to scan 35mm and 120, but its an older, lower resolution unit. Personally for 4R prints I wouldn't bother investing in anything fancy, but if your intentions were to ever have larger prints made then you'd need the resolution of one of the better multi format scanners, which are unfortunately upwards of $2000.

I understand that Polaroid is discontinuing their Sprintscan 45 Ultra which handles 35mm to 4X5. It used to sell for thousands and the left over stock is now being sold for around $700.00 on ebay (new). I don't know that I would want to buy a discontinued model but it might be an option.