For Nikon D100 users, did you notice?

edwardchen

For Nikon D100 users and if you shot NEF, did you notice:

1. That when you open NEF files with Nikon Editor and Nikon Viewer,

the images from Nikon Editor are slightly better in contrast and

sharpness.

2. When I open these images (NEF, TIFF, JPEG) with Adobe Photoshop

7.0, the quality degrades very noticeable (worse than Nikon Viewer)

3. When you open NEF image, save it as TIFF file, open the TIFF file

in Adobe Photoshop, do touch-ups, and now you can't save-as the file

in JPEG. You have to open the TIFF file (again) with Nikon Editor

and save-as it in JPEG. what a long route. I am making new website

and I'm going to convert all NEFs to JPEGs and I have to go thru all

this process. It's labor intensive. Is this the way you guys doing

it? If no touch-ups, I can easily convert NEF to JPEG.

4. And the most important is: Did you also notice that image from

D100 is slightly under-exposure? After auto-contrast-with-no-color-

change-ing the image in Nikor Editor I got image I have pictured in

mind when I shot it.

1.-2.: have you set a colour profile for your DSLR images in Photoshop? Using the correct profile should clear the differences I think. (Disclaimer: I don't have a D100.)

3. You need to reduce the file to 8 bits per color (Image/Mode/8 bits) before "save as ..." will let you do a JPEG. You can also use File/Save for web to make the JPG and then it will do the conversion for you automatically.

4. The D100 like most digital cameras is set to underexpose the images slightly (when used in fully automatic mode) in order to preserve highlight detail. You can always adjust the levels later in an editor but if your image is too light then the detail is gone forever ... no adjustment will bring it back. If you use manual exposure and the spot meter, you can make the exposures how you like but obviously this also takes a bit of time. Also, if your subject is not moving, you can use the histogram to adjust exposures. See www.luminous-landscape.com for details on exposure in digital cameras.

1) Make sure the color profile in Photoshop matches the one selected in the D100. (I recommend using Adobe RGB, which has a wider gamut than sRGB).

2) If Photoshop doesn't recognize the camera's profile (a problem with th D1/D1h/D1x), then use the command image/mode/assign to assign the correct profile. You will notice an immediate change in the color. (Don't "convert," which will keep the same appearance, but change the gamut.)

3) Once you have the correct (matching) profile set in Photoshop, you can convert the image to another profile: image/mode/convert-to-profile.

4) NEF files will not appear as sharp as JPG files from the camera; the camera doesn't sharpen .NEF files. Do that in Photoshop, where you have more control anyway.

5) You can automate the conversion of an entire directory by recording an "action" and executing that "action" using file/automate/batch. You can record anything the mouse can do, including NEF conversion and color/exposure compensation. I don't think Photoshop captures shortcut key strokes.

• 10 months later...
Adobe Photoshop allows a lot of color adjustment to correct for your monitor. You may want to play around with the color management settings in the photoshop program settings. However...you may do the best for yourself by matching it as close to internet explorer(or your printer) as you can. That all depends on your target audience.