New Kodak E100G film

I shot a Pro Pack of the E100GX about a month ago. I found E100GX (which replaces

E100SW) to have decidedly less contrast than Provia 100F. Compared to Provia F, it

has slightly less

saturation (especially in the blues and greens as noted above) and is *somewhat*

warm biased. With it's lower contrast, I thought that it a better comparison for Astia.

Of course, with Astia 100F due for release this fall, that comparison may no longer be

valid...<p>

I keep a pretty up-to-date film review <a href="http://photo.nemergut.com/

equipment/film/film.html">here</a>.

I used E100G and E100GX on my recent vacation. Usually I have used E100SW or E100VS. I was very impressed with the new E100G/GX. I found it to be a little snappier than E100S, mostly in terms of more color saturation. I liked the lack of grain, and the warm balance of E100GX helped on overcast rainy day in Williamsburg, Virginia.

I also pushed a roll, exposing at EI 200, with a 1-stop push process. Next time I will expose at EI 160, as I found the pushed slides a little too dark and contrasty.

I find that the film is true 100 speed with normal process. Overexposing by 1/2 stop washes out the colors, while underexposing 1/2 stop still gave pleasingly acceptable results in most cases.

I really like the colors in these new films for my nature photography. There is good differentiation in shades of green leaves, from blue-green, light green, dark-green, even pine-green.

That last review is just plain bizarre. He claims that E100G is "almost" as fine grained as Kodachrome 64. Ummm... E200 has finer grain than K64. E100S, E100SW, and E100VS all have finer grain than K64. E100G and GX certainly have MUCH finer grain.

Last time I checked, K64 was RMS 13, not 10 as is stated in the review.

I think Mr. Putz was talking about perceived sharpness not fineness of grain. Kodachrome, at least to, me seems sharper (then provia 100f ect� I haven�t tried e100g yet). I think it has to do with the edge definition of the silver clumps in Kodachrome as compared with the die clouds used in e-6 films. Its really noticeable in wood pictures of wood grain and similar things. Not sure how he went about measuring all of that.

Somebody compared the new film to Astia�can anybody confirm that? I like Astia for its rather gentle, accurate hand with colors. I�m not a fan of hyper saturation or oddly toned films. Can anyone who has used the new film comment on its saturation in this respect?

I should be getting this film soon, but won't be using it anytime in the next while. I have to rent lenses for my medium format still, so thats the only time I can use it. And finding some good things to shoot the film with. I bought a roll of Kodachrome 64 in 35mm the other day. Not many places carry this stuff anymore. I wouldn't be suprised if Kodachrome will be axed down the road. There sure was sticker shock when buying the roll $18. But then I remembered the included processing- which works out about the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made my own comparison with Provia 100F and the discontinued E100S.<br>

You can find the results here: <A href="http://www.photographical.net/kodak_e100g.html">http://www.photographical.net/kodak_e100g.html</A><br>

I'm quite amazed of this new Kodak film and I'm looking forward to use and test it more.<br>

Hope my results are consistent with yours....

Thanks very much for this review, Peter! It's clear that Ektachrome

100G has much finer-grained gray rendition than Provia 100F, although blue grain is similar. Like you I prefer E100G's lower highlight contrast, for wider exposure latitude. In the final curved-window comparison, E100G has more red sensitivity, and in the third _2

comparison series, E100G shows better red sharpness in the bricks,

although E100S looks best in the fourth _3 series. Too bad there was no greenery to compare.

Interesting that Kodak engineers seem to have designed E100G specifically as a 100F competitor, rather than as an E100S replacement.

• 4 months later...