what darkroom kit should I get?

I want to start developing my own photos, but am unsure where to start.

I found what, to me, looks to be a nice darkroom kit at,

<a

href="http://www.darkroomproducts.com/Omega_Kit.asp">http://www.darkroomproducts.com/Omega_Kit.asp</a>

Is this a decent kit?

Does it actualy have everything I need to develope photos?

also is this the same kit?

<a

href="http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=details&sid=105883760917898419&sku=OGC700DK">http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=details&sid=105883760917898419&sku=OGC700DK</a>

because this one is much cheaper.

Would this be a nice reliable enlarger?

Can I get professional results?

Thanks for any help and/or sugestions!

Stuart.

It sounds like they are the same kit, items pretty well match up. This is Omega C700 condensor enlarger with 35mm setup. The chemicals and paper may or may not be products that you would pick for yourself. They make more expensive timers that actually shut the enlarger bulb off after so many seconds; I suspect the one included here is JUST a timer, where you have to shut the enlarger off when it beeps. It's not clear what the safelight is; I think some of these kits just include a red bulb, but a lot of the paper requires an amber safelight. Regular safelight fixtures vary in price, but will cost more than the bulb.

You can buy enlargers and these kinds of kits separately also- you might want to check prices that way.

I'm not familiar with darkroomproducts.com. Adorama does have a reasonably good reputation, and I would buy from them if cheaper. I haven't used that particular enlarger; the professional results would be largely up to you.

You might want to spend some time on B&H's site perusing these items. Search for "safelight" for example, then look at the details on some of the individual items. There should be a B&H link on the photo.net home page.

if you don't get 10 answers saying "buy 2nd hand" I'll go hee! (that will open another can of worms.. what 2nd hand enlarger should you buy?) You usually will get all the associated junk (timer, trays, measuring jugs, themometer) thrown in with a 2nd hand purchase. If treated half decently, enlargers have a long lifespan and the only thing you really need to check is that it has all it's bits (negative holders, condensors if applicable) with it and the bulb is either a std sort or is obtainable. It might be 20 years old, but probably has another 50 left in it :)

Although not essential (as in you can make a print without one), a timer that turns the enlarger on and off is HIGHLY desirable and will make your darkroom experience so much more enjoyable! Otherwise the kits look like they would have you up and running strait away.

Add me to the list of 10 saying go second-hand. At the moment

used darkroom gear is going VERY cheaply. A lot of pros are

going digital and so the market is flooded with high end

used gear. With a bit of looking around you should be able to

get better gear for rather less than the price of the kit.

When I started rebuilding my darkroom last year I budgeted very carefully, since my only cash on hand was from an accident settlement that left me partially disabled. Seemed like a good opportunity to make lemonade from lemons.

Just to give you an idea of used market prices, at a camera show I picked up a Nikor stainless two-reel tank with a pair of 120-format reels, reel lifter and the old style (and leaky but tres chic) stainless lid and cap, in the original box, for five bucks. At today's new prices for a comparable set of Hewes reels and Omega or whatever brand stainless tank (with plastic lid) you'd be looking at spending more than $50.

I also bought another beehive safelight with OC filter for another five or ten bucks. I could've bought one of those industrial-strength Kodak hanging safelight fixtures for around $20 but didn't want the hassle of trying to find a place to install it. With the beehive fixture I can bounce the safelight off the white ceiling for more diffuse but still very usable light. I put in those 60-watt miniature fluorescent lamps for cool running. Tests fine with zero fogging at 10 minutes.

The only thing I couldn't find a real deal on was a good quality two- or four-blade easel. I'm still using either speed-easels I picked up for around ten bucks for the 8x10 and 5x7 (which actually ain't bad) or sticking my prints to the baseboard for borderless prints. I use a temporary tacky stickum made by the Post-It folks.

I store my chemicals in half-liter glass bottles (courtesy of Arizona iced teas). By splitting the one-liter mixes in two they last longer - less oxidation. I have only two "real" darkroom type 1-liter containers and each contains part of the two-part Diafine developer. I have two half-gallon brown plastic jugs - haven't used 'em in several months. I find smaller containers handier and more economical for my cramped darkroom space.

My print trays are Reynolds PotLux plastic cooking trays with snap on lids, or Rubbermaid cereal keeper one-gallon oval shaped jugs, either of which will neatly hold up to an 8x10. My only real darkroom tray is a single 11x14 which I use mostly for quick washing RC prints.

My "archival" print washer for fiber paper is a 5-gallon rectangular shaped mop bucket. I hang a recirculating aquarium pump off the side and go through around three water changes in an hour for most fiber printing sessions.

Selenium toning is done in a Paterson plastic four- or five-reel tank, which can handle prints up to 8x10. By gently curving the print it'll grip the walls of the tank and not float to the surface so it's always evenly toned. I pop the lid back on to keep down the noxious odor. Another Rubbermaid cereal keeper jug would work as well for this purpose, tho' it'd require a gallon of toner to be effective for 8x10s.

My first enlarger was a Durst M605 dichro head with 50/4 EL-Nikkor and other goodies (two lensboards, Paterson tanks and reels, 4-in-1 easel, beehive safelight, etc.) for around $300 in like new condition. My second enlarger was a Durst 606 condenser with lensboards for 35mm and medium format (very important to get those lensboards with the Dursts, they're a bit tricky and expensive to buy separately), 50/4 older Schneider-Krueznach Componon (not the later "S" model), 80mm Wollensack and several other goodies, including a luggable case for the entire rig, for around sixty bucks.

You can do this as cheap as you need to or as expensively as your budget allows. More expensive equipment won't automatically make your negatives and prints better, but it'll often make your darkroom sessions easier and more efficient.

If I was going to sink any more money into the darkroom it would be in cabinets, countertops and sinks, not gear. With a bad back and neck and a gimpy right leg my current setup is an ergonomic nightmare. So keep ergonomics in mind if at all possible for your darkroom.

Stuart - I had problems accessing the Adorama site but the darkroomproducts set does seem to include the bare essentials of what you will need to dev film and print your 35mm negatives. I believe "professional" results are possible with most any setup because results are so dependent on how you use everything. If your goal is to simply see if you enjoy taking, dev and printing your own photos this route is ok but keep in mind if you REALLY enjoy the process my guess is that you will replace virtually everything in the set. This is the way your mind will work: "I wonder if a different lens will give me better results(new 6 element lens-$154.95)? This plastic tank is too fiddly, I wonder if a 4 reel stainless tank and reels will work better($100)? This kitchen timer is a joke, I need something I can watch in the dark($109.95). I'm tired of turning the enlarger on and off with the line switch, I need a digital enlarging timer($145 w/ footswitch). I'm tired of taping my paper to the baseboard, I need a four blade easel($206.95). My 35mm prints are good but I bet medium fomat would be spectacular(new camera, enlarger and lens=really big $'s)". And it goes on and on. If you are patient and buy used you will have let someone else do the replacing and upgrading. Problem is most won't be your choices but at least you won't pay new prices while you learn what works for you plus if you get tired of the whole process you may be able to get a good bit of your money back. Make as complete a list as you can then hit eBay. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and try to buy from someone who has actually been using the stuff. Happy hunting!

I would try to upgrade to at least the XL version or a step higher and get a 4x5

enlarger like a D-2. In our world, the usual progression is to want to print

larger and then you start turning into a "grain hound" which always tends to

go to medium format and large format but for starters, it is a good enlarger...

Stuart,

I agree with the notion of buying used equipment, but I have bought a lot of junk on line, so I would like to pass on the following: if you cannot hold it, or buy it from a reputable photographic dealer with a return policy, be leery.

Buying from individuals is dangerous unless they give you some sort of guarantee--and make sure that they also take credit cards. Reputable photographers have credit card accounts, and will allow you to purchase equipment with a credit card (then you can dispute any lies). If you send cash, even a guarantee is worthless.

Used equipment can save you a lot of money, but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The best policy is to hold it before you let loose of your cash.

Last, but not least, buy the largest format enlarger your budget will allow. It is the one piece of equipment that you should not have to replace as you make your way from 35mm to medium format, and then on to large format. Also, check with some local high schools, they may have enlargers that they let you use to get started with.

Alternatively, consider starting with an entry-level film scanner. The Epson Perfection 2450 photo scanner will scan all formats, and both film and slides. This would get you started by simply learning how to develop film before buying an expensive enlarger.

Good luck...and enjoy your new endeavors.

Tim

I always love people who tell you to get this professional this or that super that...

What you are looking for is a beginner setup. The C-700 is an OK enlarger, just not worth the money Adorama wants for it and all the other stuff they want to box with it.

I would look for an older Omega B22 or B66, the same enlarger, often found in near new condition for under a hundred bucks with lens. I would find a 50mm/2.8 Nikor enlarging lens, keep looking for a nice 4 or 6 element 80mm lens if you are going to do medium format. I would get a decent stainless of plastic tank and associated reels, and I would invest in some good labware. Under 200 dollars if you take your time and do it right. Concentrate on the development stuff first, you can't print without a decent negative.

All that's left is a good 4 blade easel. You would also be suprised how far you can get in your darkroom knowledge with a 5x7 Speedeasel and a sheet of 11x14 glass for contact printing.

tim in san jose

I hope you don't think my response to Stuart is an opportunist way of grinding my own axe but you people in the states sound like a lively bunch who might indulge me. I made a portable darkroom about 2'6" diameter for some field work. It produces 10x8's needing a wash. It now works on my sitting room floor - with the lights on. I would claim wouldn't I that it does things better and quicker than the conventional setup. Manufacturers don't want to look at it. They don't think that it might be a liberating thing for photographers who want their quality without the usual social costs of darkroom-in-the-family-home. Any ideas for production?

Collin, sounds like a good idea but I'd suggest starting a new thread for this instead of tacking it onto the end of an unrelated thread. You might get more responses.

FWIW, tho', Nova has sold (and may still sell) darkroom tents. I recall a description and photo of one Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz used for years while producing photo illustrations for their books on b&w photography. It was just enough for an enlarger, Nova slot processor and supplies. Presumably washing was done outside the tent.