Quession about processing films at regular labs vs pro-labs

Hi,

I know that prints from pro-labs are better than from a typical "wal-

mart" lab, but my questions is regarding the processing of the color

negatives only. Is it better to have the color negative films (pro

and consumer films) processed at the pro-labs? How is the process

different between the pro-labs vs "Wal-Mart or Costco" labs? or is it

pretty much the same process? Reasons I asked is because I only want

the negatives processed for scanning later.

I really appreciate for your replies

Kirk.

IMHO, I would say that the saying "you get what you pay for" USUALLY rings true.

Having worked in pro-labs I can tell you that many of the people I have worked with have been highly skilled and really care about the final product they deliver. Can you say that about the 16 year old working at a discount store, a grocery store, or some 1 hour trash for cash business processing your film?

As for the process themselves... They use the same or similar styles of achieving the end result, but calibration would be the key there...

I can give an amateur and a chef the same ingredients to make a dinner, but you might end up with two entirely different dishes in the end.

How much is your photography worth?

At a pro lab, you're more likely to have your film processed in fresh chemistry at the optimal temperature, in a way that doesn't produce scratches on the film (dip-and-dunk vs. roller transport). Pro labs are also less likely to screw up the first or last frame of the roll.

It all depends how much you're willing to pay for processing. My local Longs (10 min walk from home) will do 1-hour developing for $2.99. My local pro lab charges $6 for the same thing, is a 15-minute drive from home, isn't open during week-ends, and will do same-day processing only if you bring the film early enough in the morning.

I have mine processed at the cheap place. When I have some important pictures to shoot I take 2 cameras anyway and have the rolls processed separately.

In my experience, the answer is an unquestionable YES. The pro labs are far better far more consistently than the consumer labs. Case in point: I've developed around 200 rolls of film in the last year, 20 rolls of C41 print film at a Wal-Mart, and 180 rolls of B&W, C41 negs, and E6 sildes at pro labs.

The pro labs returned all rolls properly developed, with no problems other than an occassionally late roll (which was not urgent and caused no trouble).

The Wal Mart did 15 rolls correctly, with 3 rolls of NPS color neg film returned undeveloped ("We can't do that kind of film" they said, and when I showed them that it was standard processing they said "Oh, then we can do that." I told them no.) 1 roll was developed correctly but the negatives were cut in the middle of frames (as opposed to the standard service of cutting between frames) and the final roll was developed with a bright red bar across every fifth frame (still not sure how they did that...)

Pro labs: 97%, A. But I give them some slack for the late rolls.

Wal-Mart: 65%, D. Cutting negs in the middle of a frame? That's pretty inexcusable.

Kirk, you really do get what you pay for, and if the film matters to you or a client, then treat it as if it reeally matters.

I used to think I was getting quality results from the happy-snap film processors - until I started scanning my negs and slides. No comparison. The difference was in cleanliness ... scratches, dust, roller marks, maybe even dog hair. When you really blow them up on your monitor, the difference becomes all too clear. You indeed get what you pay for.

I hate to rain in on the parade. Here is a dissenting point of view.<br>

It all depends on how important the pictures are. In the case of Costco or similar discount places, all the film that is sent out is sent to a place like Qualex (which used to be owned by Kodak). The processing of the film at these places is fine at these places, particularly slide film. And if it is Kodachrome, then these are the few labs in the country that can handle it--even your pro labs send these to a Kodak approved facility such as Qualex.<br>

Now prints are another story. The quality of the print is usually better at a Pro place, due to greater experience etc. Also your film is less likely to get lost.<br>

So the moral of the story is to use the mass processors, for the everyday pictures, and use the pro labs for one of a kind pictures (and mainly as against insurance for loss of film). YMMV, IMHO etc.