12x20 output, 35 or 67?

Hello-

I may be assigned a product shoot for the a couple of the local theaters.

The result will be a backlit composition (more than one image) which

will measure in excess of 12x20, and likely more like 20x40. Now

normally I would insist on using medium format, but I am not sure that

my boss is up to the added expenses of scanning out-of-house and more

using expensive film.

Obviouslly that is ideal, but will the new fine grain chromes be OK in

35? What 35mm would you suggest, or is it simply too risky?

(PS- I hate velvia, period)

It really depends on what is acceptable for quality. Medium would be better, but 35 may be acceptable. You'd really have to test to see. I have to disagree with you about velvia, but that's a totally subjective thing and to be expected. If you're not big on velvia, you might like astia 100f, very fine grain. I would do a film speed test on it though, my initial teting (I only got that far and just went over to provia), was that it's acctaul iso (with my equiptment and my lab) was closer to 64 than 100.

35mm, mirror lock up, cable release, tripod and Reala 100 print film.

The slide film is a good idea but it sounds as if the lighting may be tricky, therefore you might want to consider a fine grained negative film like Reala which is MUCH more forgiving in tough lighting conditions. Unless you have a good light meter and some well placed strobes I'd go for ISO 100 NEG.

You're pushing the limits of 35mm at 20x40. 12x20 is pretty manageable -- you don't have to make any special effort to get sharp prints if your technique is decent and you don't shoot crappy film. 20x40, though, is an enlargement I'd only make from 35 in certain styles. I'd print Tri-x (developed in Rodinal) to that size.

Don't expect 35 to look as good as 6x7 at 20x40. There will be a noticeable difference--I don't care how good the film is. You're pushing the limits of lenses, film, scanners/enlargers. . . everything. The new films are very, very good, but for glossy, studio-type work, I still wouldn't print 35 bigger than maybe 16x20.