Fast, horribly grainy colour negative film?

I want some of the above for pictures this autumn (fall). I've used

Scotch 1000 (slide) and Konica SRG 3200 (neg) in the past, but there

doesn't seem to be anything similar on the market these days. The

grain needs to be as big as possible for that pointillist effect. Any

ideas? Can any colour negative films be pushed to give big grain

without increasing contrast too much?

I guess what constitutes "big" grain is fairly subjective, but I don't think you're going to get there with neg film. The large-brained alien scientists responsible for today's neg emulsions have a low grain to speed ratio as one of their prime directives, on accounta the slowish lenses and weakish flashes on consumer point and shoot cameras.

Buck up and get some Kodachrome 200. Shoot it straight up, or at 500, or at 800. Or some EPJ320T. Shoot it at 1000 and get it processed +2.

Neither of these are inexpensive options, but if you really want grain...

I have seen an ad in PORTERS that shows a plastic insert that is placed between shutter and film. From what I recall, the insert has speckles that block the light reaching the film. It comes in a few degrees of coarseness. Contrast could still be maintained as original to whatever film you choose. I haven't tried this, but the theory seems sound.

If you still want to go the slide way, Freeman Patterson suggests Provia 400F pushed two stops. I don't know if it's still available, but Provia 1600 could be an option, too. I haven't tried either film to get huge grain, yet, but I've seen pretty cool pictures by F. Patterson. He also often uses a diffuser with grainy film.

By your use of "autumn" I'd guess you may be in the UK ?? I've got some possibly mid '80's Kodak 1000 in the freezer, background level is a bit high but it's as grainy as hell ... there maybe some other stuff of interest there from past projects ... I'll have to check when I get home.

Contact me off-list if you're interested.