Kodak Tech Pan as a lith film

I have read of the use of Tech Pan for pictorial as well as other

uses. I understand that exposing Techpan at ASA 200 or higher, and

developing it in developers like Kodalith, Dektol or Neofin Doku can

create a very high contrast. However I am unsure if it produces

pictures that resembles those taken with lith films processed and

printed to create lith photographs.

Is there a specific way to creat this effect?

Thanks.

To get the full lith effect it is necessary to use a true lith developer, that is an 'A+B' two-part developer such as Champion Novolith or similar. Dokulith is a high contrast developer but not a true lith developer. The component parts of a true lith developer are mixed immediately before processing the film due to the very short life of the developer.

If i understand a part of your question correctly! Lith printing can be done using your normal negatives. The print has that unusal look as a result of the printing which include developer used, exposure, development time,etc. THe developer is a lith developer. Suggest finding a copy of Tim RUdmans book on Lith printing, or some informaton can be found in his book called the Master Printing course. If I remember correctly there may be an article on Lith printing on Unblinkingeye.com

Thanks for the help. I do have Tim Rudman's book, which described lith printing using normal negatives. Tech pan produces tremendous contrast when exposed and developed in certain ways. Driven to its extreme, will it not produce just black & white without any tones in between? Would this not be like using lith films and developing the lith films in lith developers?

Technical Pan is a high-contrast film. You can easily get a variety of high-contrast effects with it, by varying your choice of developers. Paper developer (like Dektol) will provide "lith-film" levels of contrast easily. It's the special super-low contrast developers like Technidol that let you use Tech Pan like a normal-contrast camera film. There's a lot of information about this film, and the relative levels of contrast you can get, at www.kodak.com. One thing to remember is that it's a pan film, sensitive to all colors of light. Graphic-arts "lith" films are not sensitive to red light- this might make a difference to you.