Searching for a cheap 6x4.5

nick_w.

My brother is interested in finding a dirt cheap MF camera that uses either 120

or 220 film. He doesn't want a Holga. Something more along the lines of a

wanna-be Hasselblad or Rolleiflex, I think. Any suggestions? Thanks

I agree. If you are wanting 6x4.5 rather than 6x6. Bronica ERTS or ETRSi would be the best option. If you are after a 6x6. Hasselblads or the cheaper Bronica SQAi are great systems - For the small difference in price between a second hand SQA & a new SQAi it's worth buying the the SQAi as the features are vastly improved. If going for Hasselblads a second hand 501CM should not cost you the earth & will be a good all rounder.

On the 6x4.5 front, the benefit of the Bronica ETRSi system is that it's very cheap, very light & very small. I wouldn't recommend the Mamiya 6x4.5 systems (personal choice, please don't shoot me Mamiya lovers), as I don't think that they hold their own against the bronica in price, quality, or spec.

Gavin

Ah, Gavin, you want shooting! ;)

I once thought the Bronnie system was better than the Mamiya, but then I bought an ancient M645 (the original one). Cheaper than the Bronnie, with better (and cheaper) lenses, the only downside is the lack of interchangeable backs. As a budget option, it's by far the better option.

Alternatively, a Rolleiflex T with 16-on kit fits the bill - the only problem being that these options are both fairly cheap, but not dirt cheap.

There are some dirt-cheap options - some of the old folders have good lenses and can do 645. Alternatively, there is a 645 version of the Kiev 60, which has access to some fairly good lenses.

Oh dear, I've put the cat amongst the pigeons now!

Sorry Nick, didn't mean to badmouth your Mamiya *mumbles something under his breath* ;)

For me the Mamiya's spec has just not appealed. Also being a fussy so & so I like to be able to change back mid roll & have a few films on the go.

There is this very basic Great Wall DF-4 camera, a very manual SLR which costs used about $70, has a 3.5/90 lens and is capable of shooting both 6*6 and 645 with a mask. Granted, is does not have an instant return mirror, automatic wind, a lightmeter or even autofocus, but it features a nice coated lens and is about indestructible. It also features exchangable lenses in Leica Thread Mount, but I never saw another lens than the 90/3.5. Leica lenses cannot be used since the lens-flange distance is quite a bit different in 6*6 than in 35mm.

<p>

My local camera repairman has one for sale, but he is located in Germany and does not have an internet access. But you may be successful somewhere else.

Nick,

why not a used Mamiya 6 with 75mm f3.5? It's an excellent choice: light, handy, fantastic lens sharpness, uses both 120 & 220 without changhing backs and is cheaper than a Hassy.

I use it with 50mm + 75mm + 150mm and it became my preferred choice for general photography.

Elio

Another Nick W. here!

I started in MF with an ETRS and the results were fine.

I suspect the 'dirt cheap' criteria means there might be some opportunism in the search, so it might be whether he can get the best deal. This is how I 'chose' Bronica, as a colleague was selling some gear.

I don't think your brother needs to get into the 'my system is better than your system' slanging that happens on this forum. Get something to start with, and move on in the future.

It is not impossible to get an old 'blad 500, with a silver 80 lens and a back cheap these days, however, further lenses etc will be expensive. Something to think about.

There are many good replies here but 'dirt cheap' might be hard to

come by. Ebay is a good place to start looking. If your brother wants

something that is very portable with oustanding image quality, the small Fuji 645's are hard to beat. I just picked up a GA645ZI on Ebay

and I just love it. It sure has made my entry into MF easy and enjoyable. I expect that after a year or so I might move to 6 x 7

but I am extremely pleased with tack sharp and properly exposed pics

from the ZI. It has auto everything and is easy to hand hold at fairly slow shutter speeds. Being the same size as my EOS 3 it was very easy to get used to and at anything past 5 x 7 the results are

clearly superior.

Regards