Survey on M users.

Henry,

Might I suggest that you will perhaps get better, easier, and more scientific market research if you use SurveyMonkey to set up a free online survey and then post the address for you survey to a couple of Leica lists. This is a completely free web-based service. It has become very popular among educators. It will automatically tabulate all your results as well.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/home.asp?bhcd2=1058769367

As far as your informal survey, YES I wear glasses and this is one of the main reasons I opted for the .58 VF on my M6TTL. That and I LOVE wide angles!

I wear glasses - moderate prescription. I use .85x and .72x and can (and do) easily use the 35 frame in the .72x. No diopters.

I can SEE the widest framelines (35 and 28) in each body - I just can't 'see' the picture over that wide an area most of the time. It's like looking at a 19" TV from a foot away.

I use diopter lenses on my cameras when possible. I suspect that the usefulness of diopter lenses is determined by how much correction you need. I'm nearsighted and my right eye needs -1.75 correction. That's rather mild and I can see reasonably well without my glasses. So when shooting I can keep my glasses in my pocket with no ill effects. If I needed a stronger prescription, I suspect I would have to keep glasses on, in which case I would use contact lenses.

PJW

I like the CL because I can see the big 40 frames with glasses. I dislike using an external finder to shoot with a 28, because I have not yet seen an eyeglasses-friendly external finder.

For you 28 fans, I can see the entire 28 frame on a Minolta CLE with glasses.

I wear progressive-focal lenses and so far do not use a diopter on the M, but I need between a +0.5 and +1.0 with an SLR in order to see with my distance (top part)Rx. On my Nikon F's I have to look through a lower (more +)place on my glasses because the diopters are not available in intermediate settings. That's why I use my EOS 1V for really critical work with long or fast glass, it has an adjustable diopter. The M's finder is set for a 2m virtual distance so so far I get away ok. I've got a +1 diopter and as soon as I feel I need it along with my glasses, I'll get more for my other bodies.