Inexpensive, Good Film?

Do you plan to process it youself? If not, maybe you want to also have a look at the C41 B&W films, the extra cost of the film will probably be offset by the lower cost of processing (and the convenience of being able to have it porcessed anywhere in one hour).

Britt,

I agree with the above postings, however, never exclude Fuji Neopan 400. It's similiar to Tri-X except less expensive, finer grained, and with richer blacks (at least to my eye). I pay $3.29 for 36 exp. rolls at Samy's here in Los Angeles. It can be had mail order for equal costs. Another bargain is HP5+ reloaded at roughly $2.50 - 3.00 a roll. Also, I have never had problems with grey market films like Tri-X which run about $3.50 a roll. Considering Kodak raised the price of their newer emulsions, grey market is the cheapest way to go. All of these options, if not available at your local store, can be achieved mail order. Any photo magazine or Shutterbug will suffice.

I think TMAX-100 is the cheapest film you can buy. If you buy a 100 foot roll at B&H, it is $20 (imported). That gets you about 20 rolls, or $1/roll.

If anyone knows of anything cheaper, I'd be interested too.

Of course you might not like TMAX-100, but many people do.

have to agree with the bulk-loading suggestion, even as to film -- I'm bulk-loading apx100 and souping it in rodinal with pleasing (and cheap) results, it's really hard to beat... just picked up a bulk roll of tri-x and am going to check it out in diafine -- I find bulk-loading particularly suited to home-development -- I can roll a bunch of 12-shot rolls to test for film speed with different cameras, chemicals, etc., before I settle in --

The question is not always which film, but where you buy it and how much you buy.

B&H Photo also has some Kodak "grey market" film that is designed to be sold overseas, but is made in the US, that is cheaper than regular film but just as good. Browse the B&H Photo web site for details. But shipping costs are one deterrent to purchasing mail order (although there usually is no sales tax). Shipping film in the middle of summer is not ideal either.

In my city, there is a pro photo shop that has very competitive prices (competitive with mail-order firms) if you buy at least in quantities of 20 rolls. Keep the film in your refrigerator or freezer (best) and it will last a long time past the expiration date (helps if you are single when you try this).

I have found that Ilford B&W films are less expensive than most Kodak ones, but superior in quality, IMO.

I get Agfa's APX-100 or 400 for $3.99 a roll up here in Canada, where tri-x, etc usually go for $5.99+ a roll. I espically like APX-100, it has excellet grain structure. The 400 isn't as sharp as i'd like, i usually shoot Delta-400 instead.

Cheers.

In Toronto I pick up "student" versions of HP5+ for 3/$10 for 36 exp rolls at Downtown Camera. The "student" tag means merely that there is minimal packaging: a foil cover, no plastic can. It turns over quickly in the store and, consequently, is always fresh.

Have a look at my website (click on my name) -- in the photography section I've just put up a little rant on where to get film inexpensively. You might find something useful in it. (I would appreciate any comments, BTW.) Bulk loading and buying in quantity help. Tri-X and TMX from B&H are very inexpensive.

Hi Britt,

If you were in the UK I'd recommend www.7dayshop.com for really good prices but then it's not much use for yourself.

The films I use are Kodak Tmax100/400, Tri-X, Ilford 3200 and XP2.

I use the Tmax simply because I can buy it a lot cheaper than Delta. The other two because they are supposed to be clearly the class leaders and are about the same price as the Kodak stuff anyway.

Paper is all Ilford stuff. Chemicals for the T-max is Ilfosol S, Rodinal for the Tri-X and I'm changing over to DD-X (I think) for the 3200asa.