Photo day trips in SE Asia

marc schneider dc metro

I'm planning a trip to south east asia later this year. My fiancee

will be travelling around south east asia for work and would like to

join her for at least part of the trip.

Since she will be working during the day, I'll entertain myself by

photographing, and was interested in hiring a guide to take me into

the wilderness for some nature photography.

First Question is where should I go? She will probably be in Indonesia

(Jakarta and Bali), Malaysia (KL), Vietnam (Siagon),

Thailand(Bangkok), The Philippines(Manila), and East Timor(Dili).

Which parts of the trip should I join her for? I like to go to all of

them, but I can't take that much time off of work.

Second is are there any good guide/tour companies people could

recommend in these areas?

How did you find this forum!

It's not supposed to be "live" yet, I'm just setting it up. I didn't think it was linked to from anywhere on photo.net. If it is, could you tell me where?

You're more than welcome to leave your post here, but I doubt many people will see it! I should have things set up in a few days though, and then it will be added to the forum index.

Well in that case I'd like to be the first photonetter other than Bob to respond to a post on the travel forum - and about time too!! Very happy to see a dedicated Travel Forum here!!!!

You missed out an unmissable country - Cambodia! I appreciate your time may be limited, but if you're in Vietnam, you can fly to Phnom Pehn, have a couple of days there, get the boat across the Tonle Sap to Angkor and have 3-5-7 days exploring possibly the most amazing array of ancient temples on the planet. All the other countries you mention are stunning, but this is truly unique!!

Be careful of Indonesia - the Foreign Office www.fco.gov.uk warns against travel to Indonesia, and Bali isn't what it was before October. Vietnam is wonderful as are Malaysia and Thailand - but to do everywhere justice would take months!!

You also need to look carefully at the seasons! Best book? The Lonely Planet Guide to South East Asia - you'll read it cover to cover!

I could write on this for days, its very close to my heart, but I suggest you get the book and decide from there. If you want to email me, please do at neillupin74@yahoo.com.

There are some photos of Angkor <a href=http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=282344>HERE</a> to give you just some idea.

Plan it well and it'll be the trip of your life!

And PS, I hope this new Travel Forum is a great success - thanks to Bob for setting it up!

Neil

Thailand is a great country, if your looking for some leisure travel check out some of the island in the south china sea, Koh Samui, Koh Phi Phi, and others. Really beautiful places, great beaches, cheap lodging etc. If your in for more aggressive fun, try some trekking in the hill country outside of Chang Mai near the border area with Myanmar (Burma).

HI Marc,

I live in Manila, Philiipines. I can suggest day trips to Intramuros the spanish

city in Manila where there are constant tourism promotional and cultural

activities, It is safe to take pictures there now. YOu can also go to Tagaytay-2

hours drive to the south and take a picture of the volcano on the lake. If you

can go to vigan, an old spanish town or just around the laguna area, you will

see a lot of old spanish churches that are good to take. IF you have more time,

palawan island in the southern islands is full of breath taking sceneries. I can

suggest boracay also for the white baby powder sand they have or Batanes

island on the northern tip of the Philippines- it will remind you of ireland. all

these places are generally safe for camera toting people-but you still have to

be carefull and aware. YOu can join tours which your hotel can arrange to

these places.

I have been to all the places you plan to visit- my favorites are bali where the

architecture is unique and people friendly and the place has a very advanced

tourism culture; Malaysia- you can go to the highlands or to malaca; East

Timor is mostly undeveloped nature and beaches- you can take a drive by

their coastal road and see eaglets and big birds on the rock formations;

Vietnam, the market is interesting as well as the sea of motorbikes going in all

directions. Of course war sites and tours are interesting. as a norm, i travel

with a friend or go around with a local guide who can give me a briefing on

the local customs- also to tell me which areas are safe.

I've lived in Myanmar and Chiangrai province in Thailand for several years and my favorites are Maymyo in Myanmar, an old British hill station that has a beautiful teak former Bombay-Burma trading company rest house turned hotel and stage coaches for public transportation. It's a three hour train ride from Mandalay with nice mild weather. In Chiangrai my favorite is mountain biking and photography in the hills, both break the monotony of the other. You can buy a new or used mountain in the Chiangrai stores for one or two hundred dollars and then sell it back when you leave. Nice destinations: Chiangsaen (sleepy town on the Mekong), Golden Triangle (intersection of two rivers), Maesai and Tachileik (kind of the Tijuana of Thailand), Doi Tung (mountain and famous pagoda), Akha hilltribe villages, Hin Taek (Haw Chinese in the remote mountains), Mae Salong (Haw Chinese in the mountains), Chiang Khong (across from Laos on the Mekong). Much of the beauty you will see will be the in the small villages you pass through to get to your destinations, so take your time.

• 4 months later...
I live in Jakarta Indonesia. some or many remote places i've visited. well you can go to many litle village that spread on java island by train or bus. there in one name of vilage that i suggest you to get there, The Ranu Pane. it is the highest vilage on Java. more precise you, ll have to get first East Java Province then Kota Malang. there (Terminal Tumpang) you can ask to people about direction to get Ranu Pane.

• 4 months later...