RRS and Kirk Quick Release Plates for F/N80

rj__

I'd appreciate comments from people who have used the Really Right

Stuff or Kirk Enterprises plates with an F/N80.

Really Right Stuff does not make a dedicated plate for the F/N80, but

is advertising their "conventional plate" to which they are adding a

gasket. Cost is about US$50. Has anyone tried this?

Kirk makes an L-plate for the F/N80, although it's rather pricey at

US$150. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.

RRS makes a quick release plate (B24) for the N80 ($49+shipping). Kirk also makes a QR plate--PZ 72 ($55+shipping) and also makes an L bracket (N80) for $140+shipping. I have both Kirk products and have used the L all the time (it came out some time after the QR plate, hence my having both). The Kirk L bracket does NOT need a seperate QR plate--it is built in on both the horizontal and the vertical axis. I think you will find the L to be extremely useful, easy to use, and adds a wee bit of extra protection to the camera body!

Nick, thanks for your comments on the L bracket. RRS told me some time ago that they would not be making a dedicated plate for the N80 due to burgeoning demand for plates for digital cameras. I think it is only recently that they have been advertising an N80 plate, and they say that the B24 is their "conventional plate", apparently with a gasket to fit the N80. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experience with this plate, which sounds like a somewhat modified generic plate.

For what it is worth, I have the RRS plate for my D100. It is stamped with the number "24 E". It has the gasket which is thin and serves to better the fit between the ribs on the bottom of the camera and the plate. Overall the mount is thin, nicely machined and essentially the same style/quality as other RRS mounted plates. It works well. I saw for what it is worth in that I am assuming the bottom of a D100 is the same or similar to the N/F80. The plate has the usual back lip so it will not wiggle. I assume the lip allows (i.e. does not obstruct) the camera back to open (do not know as the D100 has no back to open). I looked at the L bracket and declined as I do not do much tripod mounted verticle shooting and what I do I just adjust the ball head for (may be very different for others). The L bracket seems like a big addition to a camera that has it's relativly small size as a benefit. I personally would not buy a product from Kirk as I was not satisfied with their after market assistance in a past dealing but that again is my personal opinion.

Robert

I have the RRS B24 plate on my N80. I bought it used here on photo.net for $25 or so, and I don't use the gasket (my B24 is older and didn't come with one). No, it doesn't have the smooth contoured fit of the custom-machined plates (I have dedicated RRS plates and/or Kirk L-brackets on my other bodies). However, even without the gasket, the B24 fits the N80 body fine and mounts firmly.

Since the N80 is so lightweight, my experience is that on a solid tripod and head, and with the lightweight lenses I tend to use on my N80 (24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 24-85G), the RRS plate is sufficient, even for vertical shooting.

However, if you plan to use heavier lenses without tripod collars, like the 35-70mm f2.8, 17-35mm f2.8, 180mm f2.8 or 70-300mm zooms, for example, I'd recommend holding out for the Kirk L-bracket.

Good luck,

Mark Peterson

• 1 year later...