How can I replace an image and keep the old comments?

when you say replace the image, I assume you mean a revised version, say a cropped version or some such adjustment....

When you have the photo "open", look below the image and see "Edit image info".

An edit page will open. See the "File to upload". Browse for the file you want to select to replace the current image.

Then submit.

Note: I am not sure if there is a time limit on this or not. When I have done it, it has usually been because of some minor glitch with the file, inadvertent inclusion of some white space, or my deciding I need to sharpen a bit more. This I have done almost immediately after first uploading the image.

I don't think there is.

You want to be clear exactly what you've done so the earlier comments

are understood even though the original is no longer there. Maybe

also edit the tech details. .

I really don't like the idea of replacing an image and keeping the comments. What's the point if the comments no longer relate to the image?

I think photo.net needs to seriously think about whether to disable this function or whether to make sure all comments are deleted if a new image is uploaded. Since the comments no longer apply, why keep them? If I made comments on an image and then the image was changed (even if just cropped or differently color balanced), I'd want my comments removed.

I disagree with Bob. As long as the person who replace an image clearly states the changes made, it is useful to preserve the thread of discussion leading to the changes. It is often educative for the person posting the image, and for other members of the site. When I leave a comment to somebody's photo suggesting the change, I often come back to the same page to see the reaction, and look at the result if my suggestion is taken into consideration. If the page is gone, and the changed photo has been downloaded as a new post, then the link is lost and I wouldn't know where to look.

Bob may be right. It is a trade off, but does leave the barn door open to some strange possibilities.

OTOH:

If I reload based on a comment, I put in a comment to that effect. If I reload immediately to fix an unsharp image, I guess I could just delete it.

One other factor is that sometimes it seems to me that photo.net's compression of my image can look quite a bit different from what I was looking at in my image editing program (Adobe Photoshop Elements). So WYSIWYG doesnt necessarily get up to photo.net.

However, I could just delete and start over, but by doing that I waste some time and have to repick camera and film (minimum) and if I have put in city, state, country, exposure date, and any technical notes, I would have to retype or repaste these.

I know my opinion doesn't carry as much weight as Bob's does around here, but I respectfully disagree with the call to get rid of this feature.

When one is lucky enough to get insightful and/or discussion-worthy commentary it'd be nice to be able to keep it around for mere tweaks to the original. The rare thoughtful critique can be of value to the readers as well as the photographer. However, I consider it a matter of good etiquette to add a comment indicating when and how the photo was changed. (It'd be nice if an "image replaced" comment was automatically inserted, but that's not terribly important.)

There�s a simple solution when you don�t want to keep the comments: upload the changed image as a new entry, and delete the old entry if you like.

You can upload the new improved version inline. Conversely, you can

upload the original scan to see if the changes you made to your

original upload were actually an improvement. See my 'discarded

piano' POW.

To make myself clearer: I don't want to replace my pictures with

other versions. I simply framed them and gave them another size

to reduce loading time! But thanks anyway, William gave the right

hint how to do it. I kept all of the precious comments.

I'd say any alteration of an image - even adding a frame - really negates earlier comments.

You can of course post a second version inline. However the problem there is that someone coming on the image and not reading the thread will then post comments on the original image.

It just seems to me that the system as it currently stands is wide open to abuse and confusion. Sure YOU might just post a small correction that nobody would even notice, but someone else migh post a greatly revised image, making all existing comments invalid. Someone (perhaps as a "joke" could post a totally different image, maybe even a series of images.

It there's one thing to be leared form online experience it's that if you give an opportunity for abuse, you'll get abuse.

Luckily for those who don't agree, Brian makes all the decisions about what goes on in the gallery and he's the one who does all the progamming, so on this topic my opinions carry no more weight than anyone else's. I just see this a a door to abuse that should be closed. Maybe someone smarter than I am could come up with a scheme that would prevent abuse AND allow images to be edited. Maybe some way of displaying both the original AND the revised image at the top of the thread together with some indication of which comments relate to which image.

However with the amount of work that needs to be done here and with the very limited personpower to do it, I doubt this will be much of a high prioity issue!

We've all seen lots of inline images posted by both the

photographer and helpful commenters. I don't recall ever seeing

a subsequent comment where it wasn't clear if the new version

was being considered.

I do recall making a significant crop once and replacing the

original. At least one commenter later complained because he

would have liked to have made up his own mind which one he

preferred, so Bob, your point has some merit. On the other hand,

uploading several versions of the same capture could be

considered a waste of bandwidth.

I'd still like to see a limit on the number of uploads per time

period.