VIVITAR 285 Problems with Hasselblad

rick_strome

I have a Hasselblad 500C with a 80 mm lens. I also have a Vivitar

285 flash. Recently I have been experiencing random flash failure

(fails to flash about 10% of the time). Does anyone know if it can be

determined what component is causing the problem?

Is it a bad cord pc connector to the flash.

Is it a bad cord pc cord connector to the lens.

Is the lens pc cord connector bad.

Is the flash pc cord connector bad.

Can you do a simple continunity check to determine what item is bad?

I do not want to buy a new flash if the cord is bad and vice versa.

Thanks for any advice on the above, Rick

Rick, PC cords are the weak link in the chain & if you're lucky a new one will solve your problem. (they lose their tension & become loose fitting or develop intermittent open circuits in the wiring) Sometimes all that is needed is to burnish the PC contact on the end of the cord & on the camera (special but inexpensive tool req'd). Alex's trouble shooting proceedure is right on & will help to isolate the problem. Good luck. LM.

I'd say the cord. I always carry a few spares! A bit of WD-40 sprayed into the cords PC tip might help if it's a corrosion problem. Let it sit for a few minutes and then rub the inside with a tooth pick, and if you have any, a bit of steel wool. In reality it's usually cheaper to just buy a new cord. Every time the flash misfires you waste film! Unfortunately hot shoe flashes have created a generation of photographers who spent years not using cords. Used to be that we learned early on that cords were cheap and expendable!

Rick,

The problem could be the flash unit itself, the cord, or a worn flash terminal on the lens. Do you have another lens that you can try it with? If so, and the flash doesn't misfire on the other lens, it's probably due to a worn flash terminal on the 80mm. If the flash misfires on another lens, then it could be either the flash unit or the cord.

Dave Odess

Factory trained Hasselblad technician

28 South Main Street #104

Randolph, MA 02368

(781) 963-1166

I, too, had a 285 that wouldn't fire intermittently. I first suspected the PC cord, because they are "consumables". I switched to 2 others, same problem. Even the red test fire button would have misfires. AHA! its the flash. I unscrewed the shoe mount (2 small phillips head screws), tightened up the electrical connections I could see, and that seemed to take care of the problem. Before I tightened up the connections, a light slap up side it's head would get it firing again.

Rick, is it a 285 HV (the lower voltage one) or the other one which pushes out a trigger voltage of around 2-300 volts or so ?!

With some of the older flashes their trigger voltages could over time wear away any flash contacts. Try with another lens if you can. You can buy safe-sync devices from companies like Wien that keep the trigger voltage down to a safer sub 5 or 6 volts or thereabouts.

On the other hand - maybe it IS just the cable ! ;)