Black tape / Silver tape

Many of us like to cover the Leica logos & red dots on our black M's

with black tape either for safety or aesthetic reasons. Has anyone

found a suitable alternative for chrome models? Using black tape on

chrome hardware looks somewhat yuk & in fact draws even more

attention to it. Thanks in anticipation.........but I don't want to

be drawn into a "...why bother" debate.

Paint out the logo's and dot with one of those car paint touch up pens - in a suitable shade of silver. Or paint the whole camera black or sell it and buy a black body and paint out the labels and letters with permenant marker or apply black tape. Or buy the latest MP that has been pre-worn - yes it's true - a company in Japan will take your shinny new black MP and for $500 they will selectivley and individualy wear off the black paint to reveal the nice brass underneath so it looks like an old beater - for an additional cost they will also hook it up to a special mechanical hand which takes the camera through 100,000 shutter release and wind on actions so it feels run in as well as looks it. They are, although this is only a rumour, offering a M6 top plate and rewind /wind-on retrofit complete with the nostalgic flare feature in the RF. I haven't got the company details at hand but they are I think the same company who in 1986 used to charge $250 (and sameday service!) to return the then new M6 into an old M4-P by removing the batteries - at the time this was a service only offered by Leica themselves and the turnaround was 6-8 months.

Blow a hair dryer for a minute on the spot, then cover it with gaffer's tape and rapidly pull it off; the roundel will come off with the tape. Yes there is an adjustment port there. You can do as I did and use a needle to flake off the red paint on the roundel, then replace it with double-sticky carpet tape. I also painted out the "Leica" on the front with silver lacquer. I now have a silver-dot chrome M6.

Ed

I do not know about the silver tape, but, for black bodies the very best tape is Scotch vinyl #88. It is a perfect match for the leica flat black and from three feet away it is almost impossible to see. Plus, when you take it off it leaves no residue.

A few months back I saw the documentary "War Photographer" on James Nachtwey. I noticed that at times his EOS cameras had black tape over the Canon logo, who was a sponsor of the film BTW. So he must have had some reason to block it out.<P>

If putting tape on your camera to mask out the logo or name makes you feel invisible then go ahead and do it. It's psychological for the most part. Most people are too timid to photograph strangers so maybe this is the extra little push they need to get over that hump.<P>

Nail polish and nail polish remover is the answer. For the black bodies, paint

the red dot with black nail polish. For the chrome bodies, apply the remover

or acetone to the red dot. It removes the red paint and leaves behind a light

gray dot that blends in nicely with the chrome finish. Then get some black

lipstick and apply lipstick and nail polish to yourself and go Goth!

Personally I don't understand why anybody would consider a piece of tape to be prettier than the red dot, no matter how ugly you may think the dot is.

But if you insist, why not just put tape all the way across the front, covering both the red dot and the entire chrome top? That way you don't have to match the tape to the chrome.

<i>What a load of codswallop.</i><p>

I really enjoy learning new words. I had never seen this, probably because I don't live in England. Great word. For anyone else that was in the dark on the meaning of this, click

<a href="http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwordorigins/codswallop">here</a>.<p>

Also, has anyone tried using red nail polish on their lens to make it match the red dot?

The whole logo taping thing is certainly one of my pet hates on the forum. I think this is one of the issues why the other brand owners feel Leica users are elitists. The world isnt watching you because you a Leica user, trust me most dont even know the brand. If a Leica wise thief is out their he doesnt need a little red dot to tell him your have a Leica in your hand. An M looks like an M even when its a M2 or 3 without a red dot. Maybe a camera hide would be in order for the more paranoid.