No Words: Right Brain / Left Brain Photography

FWIW: Just saw an article in the newspaper which reported physiological research on "choking" in sports (golf, free throws, etc.) The two sides of the brain were actually monitored during performance trials. Left brain is active when setting up the shot, and for those who choke more often, it continues to be active throughout the shot. For those who do not choke, once the shot is set up with the left brain, the right brain becomes more active and takes over to finish the shot. In other words, those who choke keep trying to think about how to get it done instead of letting go "with the flow." This is not speculation, but rather measures of brain activity during an activity. Seems clearly relevant to taking photographs, and re-emphasizes "knowing your equipment better than the back of your hand, so that the technology disappears and photography takes over. Clear implication for the Zen of Archery, if anyone has ever read that.

Albert, <br><br>

Your words: <i>The basic premise is that there are two kinds of shooters� Left brained: extreme precision, following � the rules� for things like composition (rule of thirds, leading lines, etc�) and Right brained: shooting from instinct, suspending thought and just �doing it� when things �look� right </i> <br><br>remind me of Erwin's recent writings about the difference between MP and M7. Seems like Erwin's opinion is that the MP is more suited to left-brained people, while the M7 is for those of the right-brained persuasion. Who knows, maybe there's a point to all this?

• 4 years later...

<I>...but could you tell me where the first picture was shoot?</I><P>

The first picture in this thread was shot by me in Korea in 1987. I lived in Korea for three non-consecutive years from ealy 1980 through 1997, and the country looked nothing in 1997 like it did in 1980.<P>

FWIW, the photo was taken in the town of Suwan, which has a Korean folk village that tries to retain a traditional Korean motif. Now 20 years on since I took that photo, I am not sure you could see the same view today.