400TX (the new stuff) vs. HP5+ in HC-110: results

Since a few people have posted questions about the quality of the new

Tri-X (400TX) - here's a couple of samples next to HP5+ in HC-110.

A) Both films were processed together in HC-110(b dilution) for 4.5

minutes at 70 degrees, equivalent to 5 minutes at 68 degrees. If

anything, these negs were a tiny bit thin and flat and could easily

have stood another 15-30 seconds of development for silver printing,

although they scanned fine as is.

The 3.25-minute 68-degree development time listed inside the 400TX film

box for HC-110b is way out of line. Kodak's slide rule must have

slipped.

2) The detail shots are from full-res 2700dpi scans - equivalent to

standing in front of a 35"x50" print. I can barely make out a

difference - the same difference that existed between "old" Tri-X and

HP5. The 400TX has very slightly softer edge sharpness and grain. I

doubt this would show up in a print smaller than 20x30 (if then).

Otherwise, I'll let you draw your own conclusions.<div>0052VB-12574984.jpg.ee9c826fc658a28b0a7eeaccc3b110c9.jpg</div>

Thanks Andy! I used to use mostly Tri-X in HC-110, but I've migrated to HP5+ (mostly for consistency across formats). I could never tell the difference, and these tests prove that there aren't many.

Did you shoot both the films at 400? How about your style of agitation? I get nice results developing for 6 minutes at 68 degrees, with 4 inversions per minute.

I do see some minor differences in acutance, grain and shadow detail, with the advantage going to HP5+. But the differences are minor enough that slight changes in development and agitation could alter the results.

Interesting stuff, Andy.

Thanks for the test results. I think I can notice a difference in the full frame shots: to me the HP5+ seems to be better exposed (=faster, better shadow detail) and maybe slightly less contrasty. It would be a coincidence if both film required exactly the same dev time for the same contrast. HP5+ has my vote on the basis of your test.

In the cropped section, I would give a slight edge to HP5+ in terms of accutance. In the full frame pictures, however, the Tri-X shot seems to have more depth and life than the HP5+ one, at least to my eyes.

Thanks to Andy for the posting.

The new Tri-X has smoother Dmax areas (highlights) which is no doubt due to borrowing some R&D from the Tmax films. This accounts for why it looks smoother in the bigger print

HP5 has more accutance and the typically better shadow rendition.

In the crops, the HP5 definitely looks sharper to my eyes. I like the tonal scale of the Tri-X better, though. That said, I sorta wish they hadn't begun screwing around with the Tri-X formulation---it's been my security blanket for so many years.

The full-frame shots aren't framed quite the same; were these shot from a tripod? I guess I'm wondering about focus/movement. The magnification is so high in the crops, that any slight difference would spoil the test. OTOH, if these results are consistent with other tests you've run...

I guess I'm also a little leary of the short dev times---3.25 is nuts, but I've never even gone as low as 4.5. I've always aimed for a little bit longer times with Tri-X/HC-110, agitating once a minute (using counted inversions with a twist), in order to let the edge boundaries develop.

Thanks for the post; very interesting.