Poll: Cokin or Hoya

desi_jae

I'm kinda new to B&W photography and wanted to know which fitler(s)

are acceptable. I have some Hoya and some Tiffen, but those are the

only one's I have tried. Are Cokin filters ok or should I just stick

with my Hoya/Tiffen combination? Thanks for any input.

I suspect it's more a matter of convenience than anything. Personally, I don't see any need for 500 different "graduated polarized purple star" type filters, and just use the screw-in type when I do use one. If you expect to use quite a few different filters with several different lenses, the Cokin system makes a lot more sense.

The advice above about buying the best filters- I've read that written by several people. I also remember reading several years ago where Roger Hicks tried taking pictures with the very best filters and the cheapest old used filters he could find. No one he showed the pictures to could tell the difference. So buy the best if you can afford the best, and if not, don't worry too much about it.

Top quality filters are nice, but you probably won't be able to tell a difference. If you still have an old fashioned camera shop around paw through the "Junk Box" full of old filters and adapters and other junk. Buy filters at yard sales. You'll run into things that were all the rage a generation or two back, but not made anymore, or hard to find. Spiratone was famous for their odd ball effects filters. Try to find an 80-C filter. It was designed to correct daylight color film for clear flash. Use it with available light tungsten and the pix will be slightly warm, but acceptable. and you only lose one stop instead of the two a "proper" 80-B will cost you. Have fun!

<p>If money is no object then by all means splurge on B+W filters. If not, then buy the cheapest filters you can find. They will be, in practice, indistinguishable from B+W. I've used the Cokin system in the past and didn't like it. Too awckward to work with and I never really trusted the relatively thick plastic filters.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.sciencething.org/photos/photos.html">Blatant

Plug</a></p>

I assume you're shooting 35mm??

Cokin is okay and very convenient, as long as you don't use a lens that's 24mm or wider, otherwise, you'll see some serious vignetting (at least with the "P" system)

Other brands: B&W filters, definitely; Hoya, of course; Tiffen, okay. If you get these threaded filters, standardize on one size (77mm) if you can, and just get step-up rings.

As for which filters, the "basic" ones are Red, Orange, Yellow and Green -- some of which have 2 to 3 or 4 Wratten # factors.

Brand name certainly can make a difference with filters. I once bought a Tiffen 81A filter for color use. Looking through it, it looked fine but I could never get sharp slides/prints with it. Cleaning, etc., did not help. I've since gone with B+W filters (excellent) and never had problems. I've also used the Hoya filters (which are are also said to be sold under the Calumet brand) and have never had any problem.

Cokin is handy for grad filters etc..

Try to build up a collection of good quality glass filters.

I buy Hama filters which are pretty cheap but darn good quality. Had to buy some Hoya's for my Tokina f2.8 zoom which at 40 pounds each was not amusing, a rip off pure and simple.

Wouldn't bother wasting money on expensive junk like B&W or Hoya multi-coated.

For those in the UK 7dayshop.com have a reasonable range of basic filters at cracking prices.

Just a side note on the cost of filters. Years ago I worked in several camera stores. Filters were one of the favorite items to sell (and for the store to put spiffs on) because a filter that sells for $25 would cost the store about $3. Its the most heavy marked up item in the photo stores.

I've also noticed that on ebay lately cokin (and other photo) stuff is going for more that what you can get it at B&H for new. People, research before bidding!