Suggestions for Matte papers

michael_kravit

I have been printing my LF negatives on Ilford MG IV FB Glossy for as

long as I can remember. Recently, I have printed on Ilford MG Warm FB

Semi Matte and liked the surface very much.

I now have a project that I think lends itself to a neutral tone

matte/semi matte paper.

I have noticed that Ilform makes the MG IV FB in a Matte surface. Has

anyone had any experience using this paper? What are your

impressions? Are you happy with it?

Any other suggestions from people who are using matte/semi matte

fiber base papers would be appreciated. I am not interested in RC

papers as these images will be for a new exhibition.

Thanks

Mike

Nice paper. The dry-down killed me for a while though. Very similar to a pt/pd type of dry-down effect. I would always end up printing again with about 1/2 a grade more contrast and less exposure. It is sort of hard to get a color change with selenium as well. If you want something in-between in terms of surface, try the Oriental VC Warmtone. Nice luster surface and it tones like crazy if you want it to. If you develop in a colder tone developer like Dektol with some benzatriazole, it is not ^too^ warm, though.

Mike, I like Ilford's Ilfobrom Galerie. Very nice paper, both the glossy and the matt, but it is a graded paper, not VC. I've developed in Dektol, with delusions from 1:1 to 1:3. The only other fiber papers I've used are Agfa Classic, and Forte Polywarmtone, both are warm papers. The Galerie seems to produce a "richer" image.

Nick,

Thanks for the info.....I have also used Dektol but unlike you I have

"delusions"...or maybe I am just delusional. ;-)

Seriously, thanks, I am not sure that I want to print on graded FB papers. It has

been years since I have used graded papers and find FB VC papers very very

convenient.

Mike

I like Bergger papers a lot. VCCB might be a good choice. Its called glossy but its more semi-glossy with a nice white base and warm image adjustable via selection/dilution of developer. The CB Style is gorgeous almost ivory based and a bit flatter finish. I have not used their matte VCCM but I bet its quite dull finished given the look of the others. My favorite developer is Ansco 130 which is neutral to warm with this paper. Higher dilution gives warmer image tone and less contrast, less dilution is more neutral and contrastier. Dektol used very dilute (1:3 to 1:5) gives deep chocolate blacks and a nice gentle look. Dektol at 1:1 or 1:2 is kinda ugly to me with this Bergger paper.

I will second the Bergger paper but the "Prestige Fine Art G3" which is a graded paper, at about #3 but variable roughly in plus or minus half grade by exposure and the concentration of the developer.

This is a semi-matte paper of 320g/sqm with cotton rag paper base.

With ansco-130 concentrated or at 1:1, I guess that you would find the feeling you are looking after.

Good luck.

Mehmet Kismet

i use the FB Matte. probably for about the last 5 years or so. Its a wonderful paper - i like the gloss but i prefer the matte over the gloss. the overall look and feel is different ofcourse but the main difference is the blacks. if you are used to getting a deep black with the gloss, you will notice that the matte gives you more of a charcoal black not a deep black. this has more to do with the paper surface than anything else. same advice of clay's - add a little more contrast, drop your time a fraction. i must admit though my first experience with this paper was hell. i have 'controlled' the paper to suit my setup and am more than happy with my prints now.

Michael, I dont know whether you can get it where you are but my favorite paper by quite some margin when I want a matte finish is Kentmere Art Classic. It is a super heavy triple weight paper with a lovely very slightly ivory base. It does have a very delicate sheen so is not dead flat matte. It tones beatifully especially in selenium allowing control of the colour by use of a different paper developer. You'll find a description here :- <p>http://www.silverprint.co.uk/index.html<p>Best regards, Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few weeks I have tested a number of matte papers for my new

project.

These papers included Ilford MG IV FB Matte, Forte polygrade V semi-matte,

Oriental Warm, Bergger VCNB, Agfa Multicontrast Classic glossy and matte.

My impressions are that they are all lovely in their own way. The Bergger was

the slowest. Forte was a lot like the Ilford with a nice white paper base. The

Agfa papers were very nice but a bit warm in Netol and Dektol as I wanted a

neutral image.

The Oriental Warm is very warm and needed a lot of work to keep the shadow

detail from blocking up.

I decided to pick the Ilford MG IV FB matte. This paper displayed a very

neutral charcoal gray tone with a white paper base and is a fast speed paper

compared to the others.

Drydown is a bit more severe than the others, but a contrast increase of 1/2

grade and a 15% compensation took care of the problem. Shadow detail is

excellent and highlight glow. Selenium toning cools the paper just a bit, but

with a 1:20 dilution the color change was imperceptable, which is good as I

like the tone of this paper in Neutol and Dektol.

The surface is very matte, and that is what I was after.

All in all a lovely paper that exceeds all of my expectations and needs.

Thanks all, for your suugestions and recommendations.

Mike

Michael J. Kravit

Boca Raton, Florida

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael

Are you using PMK developed negatives to print on Ilford MG IV FB Matte ? If so, how are the highlights developing? I ask, as I'm sure you know, the stain color of PMK tends to "muddy" the lighter areas on VC paper.

Thanks, Richard...Florida Keys