Levono Introduces Photographer's Notepad

Levono has introduced their has introduced their <a

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080812005739&newsLang=en">ThinkPad

W700</a> 17" laptop equipped with built-in Wacom, color calibrator, and RAID-capable hard drives.

<p> Wih a monster like this, I think they should have added wheels and a telescoping handle, myself.

And not to mention this bit:

"No other PC manufacturer has a mobile workstation that delivers the sheer power, performance and cutting-edge innovation that Lenovo has packed into the ThinkPad W700. The ThinkPad W700 mobile workstation flat out delivers the command performance our customers demand at the desk as well as in the field."

Not exactly true, my current laptop is a quad core (ok, Q6700 but I could have spec'd the extreme but didn't), has 3 HDD bays which can be configured as raid 0,1,5, 2x SLI linked 8800 GTX M graphics cards etc...

Only original bits are the tablet (and I'm not convinced how good it will be - I like having a tablet I can move around to the most comfortable working position not stuck on the side of my touchpad), and the calibrator... which I'd like to see more details on (to calibrate a monitor accurately doesn't it need to get readings from the front of the screen?

I have a pretty fundamental question about Windows or Mac OS being capable of exploiting these dual core and quad core chips. An OS capable of utilising multiple processors to execute the work load is called a multi processing OS. I don't think Windows or Mac is a multi processing OS. Multi programming is different from multiprocessing. Multiprogramming is simply executing more than one program at the same time (well not really but it appears to you like that anyway as the OS switches between tasks on the fly).

So if Windows is not a multi processing OS (I tried to find out but could not get an definite answer) then all your dual core and quad core is waste of money.

Cheers

Nagaraj

I have got some answers but again not again 100% verified. Apparently Windows XP Home is not a multiprocessing OS. So running it on dual core, quad core is useless from a performance standpoint as it can't see more than one core. Apparently Windows XP Pro supports upto 2 processors. But then again the individual app. software that runs on top of the OS, should be a multi threading OS, otherwise you are not going to get the advantage of the multiple cores as the app. software itself cannot break its work to schedule it onto more than one core. So how many app softwares can do this? For e.g. for photogs the interest would be can Adobe suite of products do multi threading!!??. If yes great, if not :-(, no point in using multiple cores.

Nagaraj

Even if the applications you are running are only single threaded under XP and Vista you can bind a process to given process core, so for instance I could run photoshop on core 1, lightroom on core 2, word on core 3 and firefox on core 4...

(I believe though Photoshop is multithreaded, as is light room and firefox - word I only run when forced to ;) )

Support for two processors; or typically todays two cores was added in Photoshop version 4 in 1996; twelve years ago. Some of usn ran dual cpu boxes back then with two 200Mhz pentium Pros with 512megs of ram; the config was about 4 grand. Windows NT 4 had dual cpu support. Here I have used dual cpus since this era; with old NT; win2000; and Xp; and Xp64 bit; and some server editions too. Photoshop 4 from circa 1996 can use dual core and dual cpu's. With our 1996 box that now sports dual 333Mhz Pentium II server CPU's; rotating a 105 meg file takes 9 seconds with one cpu; and about 7 seconds with a dual cpu settup.

• 2 weeks later...