Contax Zeiss (CY) Using AE lenses on Bodies with Tv and P Modes

Hi all, love my Contax Zeiss (C/Y) lenses on my RTS II (as well as adapted to my X-Pro). I keep hearing there's a simple hack to use AE Zeiss lenses on bodies with P and Shutter Priority modes. From my understanding those modes are normally reserved for MM lenses (extra pin?). Like many of you I shoot manual primarily and shoot Av from time to time when I'm lazy. Just picked up a Contax RX with those modes and was curious about this rumor about a simple hack to "trick" the camera to think it has a MM lens thus being able to use the Tv setting (useful at times when I'm trying to shoot slower or faster for whatever reason). Thanks! 

I always thought that if I could afford a "Contax" SLR, the RX was the one for me. Never having the money.. I eventually settled for the basic RTS last year.  I am not aware of any "trick" to use these lenses as "MM" lenses. In fact, I am ignorant of the details of  what these modes actually do. Assuming more automation and better "program" modes. IIRC you can identify the MM lenses with a "green"??? F16. 
I'm sorry I'm no help, maybe someone has more info to offer. 

I've had an RX for a number of years and use mostly Zeiss lenses on it. I've never heard of a trick" to use AE or Zeiss lenses in the Program or Shutter Priority modes. In fact my camera automatically reverts with these lenses to the Aperture Priority mode, unless choosing the Manual mode. If you do find a trick, kindly publish it (although I never use P or S modes on any of my other cameras).

On 5/13/2024 at 9:21 PM, elarock said:

Hi all, love my Contax Zeiss (C/Y) lenses on my RTS II (as well as adapted to my X-Pro). I keep hearing there's a simple hack to use AE Zeiss lenses on bodies with P and Shutter Priority modes. From my understanding those modes are normally reserved for MM lenses (extra pin?). Like many of you I shoot manual primarily and shoot Av from time to time when I'm lazy. Just picked up a Contax RX with those modes and was curious about this rumor about a simple hack to "trick" the camera to think it has a MM lens thus being able to use the Tv setting (useful at times when I'm trying to shoot slower or faster for whatever reason). Thanks! 

I haven't read about this hack specifically, but as you have an RX body and AE lenses perhaps you could test this and find out. Just hold the lever across (a sliver of gaffer tape?) and see if your lenses produce good results in the forbidden modes.