OT: what is your favorite non-leica camera and why??

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, may I squeeze in yet?<p>Canon EOS 600. Sort of M3 of the EOS system: superb quality you don't get any longer in that system.... and it has all you need.<br>Olympus mju-II (Stylus Epic in North America). It's so <font size=1>small</font size=1>!

The Bessa T with Triggerwinder. Great range finder. Versatile. Cheap. Specifically, my Olive Bessa T 101 with its superior build quality.

After that the CLE. Small automatic. Light. Fast. My fantasy CLE, and that of lots of photogs in Japan, is a CLE II that takes 35mm and 50mm lenses.

After that: A toss up between the Mamiya New 6x6 and the Fuji 6x9 with 65/5.6 lens.

After that: The Contax T2 and the Pentax LX--which could have made the basis for a great RF camera.

Ask this question again at the end of the year. My favorite will be the Bessa mystery camera which I am sure--99.99% positive--will be the long awaited wide angle RF camera.

In no particular order:

OM-1 /w 50 mm f 3.5 macro. Simple, inexpensive, very good lens. Nice feeling, small, light camera. My first "good" camera many years ago.

Mamiya 7II. An M6 on steroids. Manageable weight. Super negatives. Good handling, first rate lenses. Almost silent.

Toyo G A great piece of kit in the studio, on the table-top, or in the field--if you can tote it. I use it almost exclusively with a 121 Super Angulon and find it a great all round view camera. I love all the gears and adjustments.

Joe Stephenson

i see a lot of f2 fans lurk here. my favorite f2 set up comprises a

black or chrome body with an F (not f2) standard (eye level)

prism (you get a very discreet logo that way) and the new 45mm

f2.8P lens in black. this is just a superb, compact setup. the

45mm is sharper than the great GN lens of yore. CHECK THIS

COMBO OUT!!!

In recent months I've passed up (by the bare skin of my teeth) on the chance to buy both an F and F2AS (and both cheap, too). In consequence, my favorite non-Leicas are the three SLRs I have (said ownership being the reason I passed up the deals). In order of preference they are F3HP (an elegant thoroughbred and pleasure to use), FM2n (light in weight, short on nonsense), and a Nikkormat ELW (a tank). Good question.