OT: what is your favorite non-leica camera and why??

My <b>favorite</b> non-Leica camera is the Hasselblad 903SWC ... I love everything about it, it's even more Luddite than an M6, and the photos it makes are simply beyond anything my Leica Ms ever could produce in raw technical quality. If you're talking 35mm, however, it's the Rollei 35S ... 1/3 the size of a Leica CL plus 40mm lens, identical lens performance, albeit 1 stop slower, flash sync at any speed, and a combination of its small size, image quality and focal length makes it the combination that I used more than 75% of the time I shot with Leica M anyway.

<br><br>

But the camera that actually replaced my use of the Leica M kit is a Sony DSC-F707 digital camera. Once I bought that one, I never took the Leica out of the closet again until I traded it for the Hasselblad 903SWC. I find the F707 such a capable picture taker, 1 year and 3 months - 12,000+ exposures into its life, that I just ordered the F717 updated model to complement it for the several small, incremental improvements that it has. Image quality, responsiveness, flexibility, ease of use, and again quality of these cameras have left me 100% satisfied with them.

<br><br>

Godfrey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two favorites and both beat out my two Leicas as favorites:

1. Canon T-90 I don't care what anyone else says this is the finest best featured manual focus full system camera ever made.

2. Canonet G-III QL-17 be cause it can do every thing a 40mm lens is able to with AE speed. And the optics are superb.

Nikon F2. I use both the DP-11 and the DP-12 finders, and which ever one is on the camera is my favorite that day. Completely reliable camera and metering. I've trained it to accept only Kodachrome film. May have to teach the old dog a new trick soon, I guess. I had it so long that everything about it is second nature.

My favorite lens on that camera? [Commence laughter now] 100mm f/2.8 Nikon Series E. It is my "normal" SLR lens. [Continue laughter optional] I would weld it on if I didn't rarely use the 50/2 Nikkor or 75-150 Series E zoom.

Deardorff 8x10 WFS. I've never used another camera that is so easy, simple, and intuitive to use. Mine is about 60 years old, and has plenyty of character. After refinishing the wood and replacing the bellows, everything is as smooth as butter. I can't imagine any piece of equipment being more pleasing to use. Throw in a Process-Nikkor 240mm f/10, 8x10 HP5+, and pyro, and I figure that's about the nicest negative you can hope to get. Put it on a Ries A-series and life is beautiful.

Canon L1 Rangefinder. I managed to get one of the 7500 on the planet cheap - and a few lenses to go with it. It is fabulously functional. I have scanned negatives from it, and the results blow my D100, F100, and any other camera I have used away. Of course, the Sekonic Zoom Master helps... ;)

My favorite non-Leica camera is a fantasy - sort of a cross between a Hasselblad SWC and an old Zeiss Ikonta B.

It would be ultra-simple: straight-line 120 film path, knob wind, red-window frame 'counter', 50-to-60mm f/4-ish scale-focus leaf-shutter lens on collapsible bellows, direct viewfinder, body just large enough to hold 120 film - and, of course, new construction with warranty and spare parts/servicing easily available. It would fold down to a package the size of a paperback book.

Don't think I'll ever see one. The Plaubel Makina 67W came close - the Mamiya 6 w/50mm lens does, too, but is bigger than my ideal.

andy -- i have thought about the same thing. i have even toyed with asking sk grimes to see if he couldn't shoehorn a 47mm super angulon into a bessa ii body, correcting the front standard for proper infinity replcment and recalibrating the RF. i actually think it could be done on the existing bessa frame. in the meantime, the XLSW paqpro is very compact, and they can put any schneider or rodenstock lens you want on -- from 35 grandagon up to, say, 90mm.

My favorite non-Leica camera is also a fantasy. Even its film size is a fantasy. It is simply the 6x45mm format in horizontal mode, perforated each side (like 35mm) and in metal cassettes (also like 35mm). It might produce pictures of 44x55mm, in 15 & 30 exp. rolls. Camera would be just a bit larger than a Leica M5. It would have a between-the-lens shutter, to 1/500 sec. Standard lens would probably be 60-65mm.

For a non-fantasy next favorite, after the Leica, I have a difficult time deciding between the Rollei 35S, the Retina IIIC, or the Fuji GW670III.

Hard one this. First thoughts are the same as many others: Nikon F and Hasselblad 500cm - but I don't have them any more. Which begs the question, why not?

It's got to be my Eos 5 - fast quiet, light, easy to use (most of the time)

I've had several favorites over the years. The Nikon F2 ranks as the all-time, longest love affair I've ever had with a camera. I've owned a half dozen or more of them, killed a couple of them and wore out the others only to have NPS bring them back to perfect operating condition. I still have a couple of them but I only keep them for the memories involved. I loved the Wista 45SP field camera. I no longer have one but it was about as versatile as a 4x5 field camera could be, folded into a compact package with a short lens attached and neither of them ever so much as had a screw back out during the time I owned them. My current favorite SLR is the Canon EOS A2E. It has decent autofocus, a fast-enough motor drive, bright viewfinder and it's quiet and lightweight. Other than having the Command Dials replaced on both mine, it's as reliable as wunderplastik can be. I'd also throw in the Olympus XA because it's tiny and sharp.

Probably a Nikon F2. I have never owned one, but have used them. Great, great cameras. A true classic.

A few days ago I got a Rolleiflex 2.8F and must admit that it's managed to charm the heck out of me, so it may turn out to be another contender...

cheers,

feli

Favourite INCLUDING my Leicas is my Rolleiflex 3.5F Xenotar. Second favourite: 2.8F Xenotar. Third favourite: 3.5F Planar. ;)

Other non-Leica favourites include: Contax 137, Canon EOS 3, 5 & 100, Pentax MX, Nikon FE.

Least favourite to use: Nikon F. Nice object, awful camera.

This is like saying, "which is your favorite finger?", Oops, perhaps the question is more like, "which finger can you do without?".

Well, really, all my cameras are my favorites, but at different times.

William

Olympus Stylus Epic. Smaller and lighter than a bar of soap; slips into a pocket; (A real pocket, not the kind Leicas are alleged to fit into.) f2.8 lens focuses to 1ft. It has limitations, natch, but for $90, I'm willing to forgive quite a bit.