on and searched the manual for any special instructions. I carry my

cameras strapped across my body when hiking, one on either side,

usually tucked behind my arms. Some friction is inevitable when

working them. The store salesman says that the Nikon rep reports

never having that problem and the local Nikon repair guy says

likewise. Has anyone had a problem with the rubber eyepiece coming

off this frequently? I want to call Nikon customer service but

before I do I wanted to check. I really think that this isn't the

greatest design for a camera that one takes into the field.

Personally, I feel that they should replace the eyepiece for me. I

think I can put some strips of tape on three of the edges to hold the

replacement piece in place and avoid dislocating it with friction

from my photovest or clothing. Any suggestions of which tape holds

well but doesn't leave too much residue? Thanks for your input. CC

Common problem, mine's long gone too after multiple 'lucky finds' when it had fallen off. Someone mentioned that there is a better replacement cup you can get. Not suprised by the blanket denial of a problem by the Nikon people and sales people, but the problem is real--if minor.

Common and constant problem with my N80 and D100. I'm tempted to use rubber cement, or something similar, to keep the dran thing on. Sometime ago I asked the net for advice on a better cup; here's what I found: "Nikon 2939 (The little part with no DK number) is the best one. A full eyecup that slides right on, fits well, doesn't interfear with anything. I have those on both my D100 bodies."

I'm waiting for B&H or Adorama to have one to sell. I've no idea if it stays on any better . . .!!

Since you have now definitely lost it, you've already reached the same solution I did after finding it a couple of times and then not finding it - to manage without.

The best way of keeping it is to take it off and put it in a safe box at home. My photographs are much the same now.

If you use it to avoid scratches on your glasses, order a couple to have in reserve.

My eyepiece is also gone. I bought a new one at $6.5 and fix it to my F80 with 2 drops of super glue (Arron Alpher). Then again it works fine. I know I could live without the eyepiece, but I opted to make my F80 more "complete".

On the other hand, the eyepiece of My Nikon FM has been with me from day 1 that I bought the camera (some 20 years) !! It is fixed to the camera by a screw mount glass cap attaching to the view finder. A very good design, but a little bit clumpsy when loading films.

It is definitely a sub-standard design, but Nikon probably needed to compromise on the rubber eyepiece to allow for the Diopter-correction slider. Personally, I prefer to screw-in eyepieces found on FM-series cameras, or on the N8008-series. I agree that for the F80/N80, Nikon could have made a better rubber eyepiece. And I wear glasses, so I am meticulous with my eyecups.

Try removing the rubber eyepiece and using bits of gaffer tape, carefully cut to cover the hard plastic bits. Might work....

Just an update for all who have helped me out. I took the emails on this thread back to the camera store and they provided me with a replacement eyepiece. I have for the time being taken strips of electrical tape to help with keeping it from coming off. Gaffer tape has been recommended and I will check it out. One other good thing about putting tape along the finder is that it holds in place the diopter correction, which can easily be accidentally changed by friction with clothing. Truly appreciate you guys. I also hope that others will not just accept this problem and buy a replacement without seeking a fair consideration for a free replacement from a store or Nikon. Thankfully, the manager of the store was much more responsive to my needs than his salesman. CC