What is the problem with this Mamiya prism?

I'm looking at a Mamiya prism on eBay.

The prism looks to have suffered some sort of degradation but I'm not sure what kind. [See pic.]

Just wondering if I could dismantle it and clean it?

Thanks for any advice.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by stephen_mcateer
Typo

Never seen anything like that, it looks like impact damage. I very much doubt if it could be cleaned off, although it probably won't affect operation. Are you sure it is a prism rather than a pentamirror? My first reaction was that it had been invaded by ghost spiders from Mars (sorry).

It does look like impact damage, tho I wouldn't expect to see such extensive cracking along all edges of an actual solid glass prism.  Agree with John_Seaman that this might be the cheaper "Porro Finder" that used a set of fragile flat mirrors vs a solid prism. The Mamiya porro finders can often be found more easily and for less money than the true prism, but the viewing image is much smaller and dimmer (fine for outdoor and landscape, not great for indoor where the WLF or true prism show a larger brighter easier-focusing image).

IIRC, the porro finders were offered only for the Mamiya TLR cameras, not the RB/RZ67 or 645 series. The porro option is more effective for the top heavy TLRs anyway: much lighter than the true prism, and you can get a porro version with built in TTL CdS meter. The true solid glass Mamiya TLR prism is more compact than either porro, but weighs much more and is not available with TTL meter.

@orsetto Thanks for that information. I decided to pass on this finder, and instead bought a Mamiya 330 F in poor condition, but which was bundled with a prism in nice condition. [I re-sold the 330 F the following day.] So I now have a proper prism finder for my 330 Pro. The cost, all-told, was very reasonable.

I saw lots of Porro finders, which are much cheaper but I did some research and found out what you describe here: the image is smaller and dimmer than the prism.

Cheers.