Nikon F Photomic Meter Head Service Recommendations

FPapp

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for repair shops in the USA that can service Nikon F Photomic Meter heads.

I have two Ftn heads that are functional but may need calibration.

I have an early "bullseye" head that doesn't function, that I would like to function.

All three are in pristine cosmetic condition, and all three I'd like to have converted to use modern batteries.

Thanks

IMG_2951.JPG

7 hours ago, c_watson1 said:

Enjoy life. Get a handheld meter, like an upscale Sekonic, with incident and spot metering. Might actually be cheaper than an iffy/unavailable repair and the cost of film with blown exposure.

I already have a couple handheld meters.
There are shops out there can can repair and properly calibrate the Photomic meter heads, just a matter of finding the best one with a good turnaround time.

Your suggestion makes sense from a practical viewpoint. As a collector/user of vintage gear, not so much.

5 hours ago, FPapp said:

There are shops out there can can repair and properly calibrate the Photomic meter heads, just a matter of finding the best one with a good turnaround time.

I’d love to hear about anyone with the ability and not least willingness to repair a Nikon F Photomic meter, regardless of turnaround time.
Please share.

The often seen challenge is that if you have a functional meter, you’ll expect to get a functional meter back from the repair tech.

Without parts this poses a serious risk for the tech. Since if diving into the Photomic meter unsuccessfully, any mistake will likely be un-recoverable and a liability for the repair technician.

Luckily my FTn Photomic head works fine (with a zinc-air adapter or MR-9 Kanto converter) but if it wasn’t completely in alignment with a modern meter, I’d probably rather analyze the deviation and adjust, rather than opt for repair.

Two recently acquired Nikkor lenses: 50mm f/1.2 & 35mm f/1.4 both AI-S

• Like 2
Niels

43 minutes ago, Niels - NHSN said:

I’d love to hear about anyone with the ability and not least willingness to repair a Nikon F Photomic meter, regardless of turnaround time.
Please share.

The often seen challenge is that if you have a functional meter, you’ll expect to get a functional meter back from the repair tech.

Without parts this poses a serious risk for the tech. Since if diving into the Photomic meter unsuccessfully, any mistake will likely be un-recoverable and a liability for the repair technician.

Luckily my FTn Photomic head works fine (with a zinc-air adapter or MR-9 Kanto converter) but if it wasn’t completely in alignment with a modern meter, I’d probably rather analyze the deviation and adjust, rather than opt for repair.

Two recently acquired Nikkor lenses: 50mm f/1.2 & 35mm f/1.4 both AI-S

Unless I get better suggestions I'll be sending the meter heads here: https://www.lezotcameras.com/shop/repair/
They currently have a six week turnaround time, they are also able to convert the meters to use modern silver oxide batteries (and meter accurately).

You don't state what is wrong with your FTn finders. I have never worked on a bulls-eye finder but have revived several FTn finders. The common problem is a dirty resistor ring in the meter. It is not hard to take the meter apart to clean the resistor ring. There are several YouTube videos explaining how to do it. The only tools you will require is a set of small slotted screwdrivers and a set of small JIS screwdrivers. I bought mine from a company called Micro Tools. Do NOT use a Phillips head screwdriver. Those small cross head screws are JIS screws and a Phillips head screwdriver will strip them. Once you get it apart you carefully clean the resistor ring with a cotton swab and alcohol. Do not use any kind of spray cleaner. As for the batteries, I have had the best success with the adapters from CRIS Camera. 

Just now, robert_bowring said:

You don't state what is wrong with your FTn finders. I have never worked on a bulls-eye finder but have revived several FTn finders. The common problem is a dirty resistor ring in the meter. It is not hard to take the meter apart to clean the resistor ring. There are several YouTube videos explaining how to do it. The only tools you will require is a set of small slotted screwdrivers and a set of small JIS screwdrivers. I bought mine from a company called Micro Tools. Do NOT use a Phillips head screwdriver. Those small cross head screws are JIS screws and a Phillips head screwdriver will strip them. Once you get it apart you carefully clean the resistor ring with a cotton swab and alcohol. Do not use any kind of spray cleaner. As for the batteries, I have had the best success with the adapters from CRIS Camera. 

I do have a set of JIS screwdrivers.

The FTn finders I have appear to be accurate and working. I've only tested by comparing to my DSLR meter. I thought that since I'd be sending the older meter for service anyway, I'd send the FTn's as well for a CLA. I believe the conversion to use modern batteries is simply a matter of recalibrating the meter to account for the different voltage.