Pentax Super Takumar 50mm F/1.4 8 element ?

After many years in storage, I recently took out my old Pentax 50mm F/1.4 Super Takumar . I decided to research the lens on YOU TUBE and discovered that the 8 element was considered the best lens in the 60's. The problem I am having is that my lens has some of the markers found in the 8 element such as an A and an M on the barrel instead of AUTO/ MANUAL. My lens also has 6-blades and not 8. My lens has Super Takumar when you look at the lens from the front and does not say anywhere multi coated. However, my lens has the RED line to the LEFT of the 4 just like the 7-element ,  also the glass of the rear element does not protrude from the metal housing. In addition the lever to switch from AUTO to MANUEL has numbers on the back side which you find in the 7 element. The markers that I have for the 8- element were obtained from only one YOU TUBE source. I am now more confused than ever about my lens. This is why I am reaching out for help identifying my lens. One last thing , my lens was purchased in Hong Kong about 1966-67 by my brother when he was in Vietnam.

Raphael

1 hour ago, NLsafari said:

the glass of the rear element does not protrude from the metal housing

That would be a strong indicator that your lens is a 7 element. The protrusion is cause by the 8th element - hard to imagine it could be an 8 element without it.

But how about some pictures of your lens and perhaps a link to the video you mention?

Here’s a site that seemingly has assembled quite a bit of data on how to ID those 8 element lenses. https://takumarguide.weebly.com/1--14--50-358-8-element.html

Niels

19 minutes ago, NLsafari said:

Yes, I took a few pics of the lens but when I tried to attach same, I got a message that it was too big. Any suggestions?

Raphael

You can down-size in a photo editor by clicking on "Adjust size" under "Tools". Adjust to 1,000 pixels for the horizontal size.