Tokina SD 12-24 (IF) DX on Canon 70D but wont shoot at 12mm : (

jon_wason

The good news is that a widow gave me a camera bag full of her late husband's equipment. There were 3 lenses and the one I tried out today is a Tokina SD 12-24 (IF) DX

I mounted it on my Canon 70D and shot a few frames on my home from work before it got dark outside.  I shot at 24 mm and then moved it to 12mm but got an error that the lens was not communicating. So I turned off the camera, took the lens off and and turned it back on. That worked but it wont shoot at 12mm. I noticed in the viewfinder the black edges or vignette. I never had a lens this wide and was hoping to get some real estate photos.  The camera in the bag is a Cznon EOS digital rebel XTi. So the question is  Canthis camera and lens work together? 

• Like 1

Back in my crop sensor days I had a Tokina wide angle zoom, trying to recall exact lens but it has been to long ago (over a decade), I would have to go through archives. What I do recall was it was a well built solid lens, metal not plastic. It will come to me, lol. I sold all my crop sensor gear moving to full frame and had to let it go.

Cheers, Mark

The first issue sounds like lens pins weren't seated well and re-mounting the lens corrected the issue. Not locking focusing under low light at wide angle, try under bright light. Try different camera modes, focus areas.  I had a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 that came out a year before the 5D Mk IV, it did not work well on the 5D Mk IV. I had to send the lens back to Tamron for a firmware update to fix the issue. when Canon comes out with a new camera they try to make sure it is compatible  and will work with older Canon lenses. (Not talking about R cameras and EF lens) They are not guaranteeing it will work with third party gear. It may be a firmware issue. One thing I like with Sigma lenses is you can update the firmware with a puck. I don't know if that is the issue.. try it on the older Rebel.

Cheers, Mark