Interview with Andreas Kaufmann of Leica, production numbers of film/digital Leicas

Just thought this might be worth posting out of interest to the forum members here... I saw an article on the Kosmo Foto website today, reporting on an interview that Andreas Kaufmann of Leica gave to the French Phototrend website. This is the bit that I thought was most interesting...

Que pensez-vous du retour de l’analogique ?

Nous sommes plutôt satisfaits parce que nous sommes encore les seuls à pouvoir produire des appareils argentiques. Dans nos usines, vous pouvez encore voir de vieilles machines dédiées aux appareils argentiques en fonctionnement. Mais en 2015, on a pensé à tout jeter parce qu’on ne produisait plus que 500 boîtiers argentiques par an. Mais il y a eu un beau rebond depuis et, en 2023, nous allons produire près de 5 000 appareils analogiques M6 et MP.

Et combien d’appareils photo en tout ?

Dans la gamme numérique M, je pense que c’est 11 ou 12 000 par an. Comme il s’agit d’un appareil photo à prix élevé, il n’est pas très judicieux d’opter pour une production plus importante.

Mais je dirais que nous apprécions beaucoup le retour de l’analogique. Et nous en ferons plus. Les éléments clé sont le développement et la gestion des laboratoires. C’est la partie la plus délicate. Et nous nous penchons sur la question.

And auto-translated into English...

What do you think of the return of analog?

We are quite satisfied because we are still the only ones who can produce film cameras. In our factories, you can still see old machines dedicated to film cameras in operation. But in 2015, we thought about throwing everything away because we were only producing 500 film cameras per year. But there has been a nice rebound since then and, in 2023, we will produce nearly 5,000 M6 and MP analog devices.

And how many cameras in total?

In the digital M range, I think it's 11 or 12,000 per year. Since this is a high priced camera, it is not very wise to go for larger production.

But I would say that we really appreciate the return of analog. And we will do more. The key elements are laboratory development and management. This is the trickiest part. And we are looking into the matter.

• Like 1