Nikon Forum: Your Best Five (5) Images from 2023

ShunCheung

As 2023 coming to a close, let's try another image thread. The general rule is similar to Nikon Wednesday, but each member is limited to up to 5 images and they must have been captured in 2023:

• Up to a maximum of 5 images each. You can just post one image, 2 to 5 images in one post, or you may spread them into up to 5 different posts in this thread.
  • Each image must have been captured with either a Nikon camera body and/or a Nikkor lens, but we won't verify that.
  • Each image must have been captured within 2023, but of course we are not going to verify that either.

For me, I am most happy with some of my concert images and some bird images from my trip to Costa Rica after Thanksgiving.

AshleyHuang_8413.jpg.bae80c218bd5182e16e67e67f150faf3.jpg

OrangeChinnedParakeets_3498.jpg.c91673aced0f18b9b7d4b7de7e5a7c27.jpg

HummingBird_4328-Enhanced-NR.jpg.1f090cc27dc50718048851d6eee43efe.jpg

• Like 11
  • Yes! 1

Two major events for me this year - trip to La Jolla for pelicans and cormorants and observing an osprey family over a few months at a marina in Portland, Maine. For the latter, it turned out that the 800PF was perfectly suited; in La Jolla I had to "make do" with the 300PF and 500PF.

Brandt's Cormorant

Brandt's Cormorant

Osprey

Osprey

• Like 8
  • Excellent! 2
  • Very Nice 1
  • On Point 1
  • Yes! 1

2 hours ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

Two major events for me this year - trip to La Jolla for pelicans and cormorants and observing an osprey family over a few months at a marina in Portland, Maine. For the latter, it turned out that the 800PF was perfectly suited; in La Jolla I had to "make do" with the 300PF and 500PF.

I assume you hadn't received the 800mm PF yet when you were in La Jolla (near San Diego). I took that lens to Costa Rica and used it extensively for smaller birds.

22 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

I assume you hadn't received the 800mm PF yet when you were in La Jolla (near San Diego).

Your assumption is correct, I got the 800PF in late June; the trip to La Jolla was in January. Something that long could be useful there to catch pelican approaching over the ocean or to work from the sidewalk towards the far cliffs. Can't recall if I used the TC-14EIII with the 500PF at all while on La Jolla.

• ShunCheung changed the title to Nikon Forum: Your Best Five (5) Images from 2023
15 hours ago, chrismitchell said:

I forgot how tro upload a photo, sorry,

To post from flickr, just grab the image URL from the URL field and post it here - none of their "share options" works here at PN. The BBCode use to be the one to use, but it is not recognized on PN.

• Like 1

Three more images - Brandt's Cormorant from the cliffs of La Jolla and an osprey form Portland, Maine

Brandt's Cormorant

Brandt's Cormorant

Quiet down there!

Hoping the ospreys will return in April to the same nest. The juvenile shown in this thread will not be back in 2024 - her first return to the vicinity of their birth place will be in Spring 2025 - provided, of course, she made it to their destination South (could be as far as Central America or even the Northern parts of South America) and survived their time there and the return trip. She hung around the nest the longest - her brother left a good two weeks earlier than she did. Her mother about a month earlier; her dad stayed until she had left - providing her with food until the last minute. I never observed the female juvenile catching any fish - which wouldn't bode well for her trip South unless she learned very quickly.

• Like 8

On 1/1/2024 at 8:04 AM, Dieter Schaefer said:

To post from flickr, just grab the image URL from the URL field and post it here - none of their "share options" works here at PN. The BBCode use to be the one to use, but it is not recognized on PN.

Thank you Dieter. I updated Chris' post. Hope it is correct now.