Big Bridge

Ricochetrider

The Rockville Bridge crosses the Susquehanna River, just north of Harrisburg. 
It’s the longest stone masonryarch railroad viaduct ever built,[2] at 3,820 feet (1,160 m). It has 48 70-foot spans.[2]
The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and was designated as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1979.

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Very Nice 1

7 hours ago, Bill Neubaum said:

My present photo in "wide-angle Wed 12/13 is this bridge.  I also have an album on this site called "Rockville Bridge" with 15 images, check it out!  (I live in Harrisburg, down-stream of the bridge)

RB3.JPG

Nice, Bill! I will take a look. I’ve wondered if you were somewhere nearby, I’m in Camp Hill. I ❤️ the Rockville Bridge. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dave_thomas8 said:

Tunkhannock Viaduct, Nicholson Pennsylvania -- 2,375 feet (724 m) long and towering 240 feet (73.15 m) when measured from the creek bed (300 feet (91.44 m) from bedrock), it was the largest concrete structure in the world when completed in 1915. 

78037664.OsCknTO4.SQ021_02_80mm_TunkhannockViaduct.jpg.646244f8b41113825ae8aacdea0aca22.jpg

Whoa, very cool. This is reminiscent of bridges I’ve seen in Reading & Allentown, among other places in PA. Gotta make a road trip out to see this. 

• Like 1