Magazine recommendations

Colin O

What with Christmas around the corner, I was wondering about a gift for myself, and the thought crossed my mind of a magazine subscription. It could be nice to get a "surprise" bit of photographic diversion in the mail every month or so. I know it's very hard to answer a question like this, but I was wondering about other people's recommendations if anyone has any. I categorise my own photography as mostly "travel-type" photography, and I suppose the main purpose of a magazine, for me, would be just for inspiration. I like a range of different types of photography - lifestyle, architechture, and I've recently also become more interested in portraiture. Years ago I used to subscribe to Hasselblad's 'Forum' magazine, and it was always a nice selection of work, though I guess the issues were not very big. I am currently in the UK, so it doesn't really make sense for me to focus on US-only publications.

Just for further reference, if I was asked to name some of my favourite photographers, the first names that come to mind are people like Steve McCurry, Elliott Erwitt, Vivian Maier, Michael Kenna. I am not suggesting that a magazine needs to have work by well-known photographers - it could be work by anyone. As I said, the main hope for me is just to find it inspiring.

PS. Just to add, this might seem a strange forum to post this in, and of course a magazine should be relatively camera-independent, but the camera I personally enjoy shooting with most these days is my Rolleiflex 3.5F, and I guess I just like the look and tone of medium format photography. I thought the readership base in this forum might provide a good range of opinions.

Edited by Colin O